can a dog get hives from stress?

I will take her to the vet but everytime she sees the new puppy (who lives upstairs, we live downstairs) she breaks out in what looks like hives. If so, what can I do for the poor thing till I get her into the vet?

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 11:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Pets

• yes - I wouldn't give her anything til you see the vet just keep an eye on her in case they get worse
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 11:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Give her childrens benedryl
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:20 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Yes, they can... you can give Benedryl but have to be very careful to give the appropriate dose for the dog's weight- otherwise you will end up with a very stoned dog. This happened to one of my cousin's dogs when she was stung by bees and her frazzled owner gave her the standard adult dose of Benadryl- not a good thing for a fifteen pound weiner dog! However if they are not itching or bothering her I would probably leave it alone, you don't want to give meds if you dont' have to!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:46 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• You could spray her with Benedryl spray instead of giving her oral benedryl until you find out what the problem is.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:06 AM on Dec. 26, 2009