My 9 month old still doesn't sleep through the night...is this normal??

He wakes up 2-3 times, not hungry but just wakes up...what would you do in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did this until he was 11 months old. He wasnt hungry he would just wake up and cry. Maybe a dream who knows but it will pass, even though I know it seems that it never will. I would go back to his room and rock him till he fell back asleep. Eventually I just let him cry himself back to sleep (as long as it wasnt to bad of a crying fit). Not long say 2 weeks of this and he stopped waking up. It's hard but it works. Good luck.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 11:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I ave been reading the book "the no cry sleep solution." I really like it and there is one for babies as well. Maybe you could try it?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Mine still does this at age 2.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:19 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Heck I don't even sleep through the night. Get up for something....stay up awhile....back to sleep. For me that is normal
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• my daughter didnt sleep through the night til after her 2nd birthday
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Yes, it is normal

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• From what I hear it's normal. All 4 of my kids slept through the night at around 2 months and other than the occasional night with teething or when they were sick, never got up again. Yes, I know everyone wakes up several times/night, but like me they were able to get themselves back to sleep.
    Have you tried letting her fuss to see if she's "really" awake or just going through a light phase of sleep? It may be that she will fuss for a few minutes and then roll over and settle back down for sleep.

Answer by missanc at 8:52 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Seems normal to me. Comfort him, and then both of you go back to sleep. You say he isn't hungry, so I'm assuming he just wants to be comforted.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Wow, I truely Feel for you! I was truely Blessed with my son! He sleeps from 11pm straight thru till about 8:30-9am. Hes been doing that since he was 5wks old. He is now 3months & 1wk old. And only had about 1 bad week of nights where he was waking up screaming, but the doc said hes starting to teeth.
    But from what I hear that is very normal for babies that age not to sleep thru the night. Just try tiring you lil one out before bed time, you may have alil bit more luck. I know what My son, we put him in his Jump-a-roo before bed now so that he really jumps all his energy out, then ready him a book, and then turn on his fave music that puts him to sleep!
    Best of luck to you, and hope you have a happy holiday!
    oxcarirenexo

Answer by oxcarirenexo at 12:06 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I bought "What to Expect the First Year" for this reason. My daughter would wake up a few times a night, wanting a bottle but not really drinking much, or just wanting to be consoled for whatever reason.

We started working on this about a week ago. She now falls asleep around 7pm completely on her own and wakes up around 5am.

We keep it totally dark, and we make sure it is dark in the living room and hall before we move her so the light doesn't disturb her. We calm her down and make sure she is tired, and then take her up to her room. She cries at first, so we calm her down and then leave. Then we set the timer for 5 mins and if she is still crying, we go back and console her, then leave again. Then we go back in 10 min if she is still crying, then we repeat. We do this every 5 min.

By the time we get to 15 min, she always falls asleep and is out for the rest of the night. No bottles, nothing. She is content for the night
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 2:52 AM on Dec. 26, 2009