DH wants to buy more gifts for DD, im trying to save money, what to do?

We are hosting christmas dinner at our house this year. Bought a lot of presents and our DD of course got the most because she's our only child. We have spent a lot of money and I don't think its a good idea to buy anymore gifts for our DD. He is set on buying her a buggy (its a lil car we push) but one of the gifts we bought her already is a motorized car. He left it up to me to buy the buggy. I feel bad that I didn't get it. Should I buy it for her and make him happy or put my foot down and say enough. I don't want to be the grinch.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• How old is she? If she's really young she won't notice that she didn't get it. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I would save the money but that's just me
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:11 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• OP here-shes 13 mths old. I'm a SAHM if this helps answer this question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I think you should save the money. She already got a motorized car so why would she need one you push? Maybe compromise and get her something really cheap...like another book.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Tell your husband to put the extra money in her college fund. Education trumps toys.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• You took the money and agreed to buy it. Buy it. Next time tell him no before you agree to buy something.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:50 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Stop being a scrooge! Christmas comes once a year!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• She never said she took the money. She said he left it up to her...I take that as he left the decision to her.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• My son's first x mas I dropped a little over $3,000. Yes, You read that right!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I have two teens. I understand that urge to want to get them all sorts of cool and fun stuff. But honestly, it sounds like you got her plenty. And lets face it - SHE is NOT going to remember that you got it for her, and she is NOT going to be upset if you don't get it for her. To be honest, if you go out and get this, too, it's for you and your dh at this point in her life. Not for her, and too much is going to be overwhelming for her and no fun.

Save the money, that's a better investment for your family and your child at this point, and a family that has financial security (both long and short term) is a wonderful gift for a child at any age!

Trust me, there will be lots more Christmas Season's to come, where she will be old enough to remember it, and where "getting that perfect toy" is going to be a lot more significant.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:56 AM on Dec. 25, 2009