teeth/head gear/young child

i was wondering if anyone has had to deal with their child having to use a head gear at night to straighten their teeth. my daughter's dentist said she will need to use one when she turns about 8, after all her baby teeth are gone. shes lost 2 teeth so far..both front bottom. the one came in fine, but the other one is horrible. its almost side ways and facing towards the back. im guessing the rest will turn out like that too since the dentist is suggesting a head gear, from looking at her xrays. how does that all work? what will she have to go through to get that on? shes only 6 now so i have about 2 years but id like to prepare my self. thanks.

USAF.Wife

Asked by USAF.Wife at 12:09 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had one when I was a kid and we all know how things get better over time. Mine wasn't that bad... I got used to it. Why don't you ask your dentist to explain it all to you and maybe show you one if he has one..or talk to an orthodontist's office since that's likely who she'll see to get it done.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:41 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I honestly didn't even know that they still did headgear any more. There is so much newer technology. I just had braces removed myself 2 years ago. I asked the orthodontist about my kids and their crowding, crooked teeth and my son has a severe overbite. He said that he will do a consultation when they are 8 and all of their front permanent teeth are in. He says he usually does braces on the front teeth (I think the front 8 on the top and bottom) and move teeth and straighten them to make sure there is room for the rest of the molars to come in without crowding. He said that most of the time this eliminates the need for braces when they get older. My friends son just had his taken off, he's 10. Most orthodontists give free consultations, I recommend speaking to the orthodontist about what your daughter may need.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• If she hasn't seen an orthodontist, I would get her in for a checkup. The dentist may not know enough to give you the best advice. My son has been seeing an orthodontist since he was 8 and has not gotten braces yet. He should be getting them this summer. My son had to have 8 teeth pulled to make room for all his teeth, he had way too much overcrowding. His teeth are coming in crooked, sideways, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• its not an over crowding thing for my daughter. the thing is, there is plenty of room.and braces alone will not fix this problem,the teeth need to be pulled forward and then straightened.they are facing straight back and twisted almost sideways....headgear is the only option.. i do plan on talking to the dentist about it when she has more time. just figured i would get some answers here on what the process is going to be like. i already know she needs it done.
    USAF.Wife

Answer by USAF.Wife at 10:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I had head gear when I was around 8 or 9, I only had to wear it at night and I think for less than a year. It really wasn't that bad, a little painful at first as teeth started moving, but that could have been from the full set of braces too. The only major problem I can remember is the bracket things they put on the back teeth to hold the gear in your mouth were always coming out! It seemed like I was in the office every other week getting new ones put in!
    But this was like 10 years ago so I'm sure things have changed! Oh and I didn't have the full head set up the strap just went around my neck!
    bgcmommy

Answer by bgcmommy at 3:06 AM on Dec. 27, 2009