my DH wants to buy more gifts for DD but i say no. what to do?

We are hosting christmas dinner at our house this year. Bought a lot of presents and our DD of course got the most because she's our only child. We have spent a lot of money and I don't think its a good idea to buy anymore gifts for our DD. He is set on buying her a buggy (its a lil car we push) but one of the gifts we bought her already is a motorized car. He left it up to me to buy the buggy. I feel bad that I didn't get it. Should I buy it for her and make him happy or put my foot down and say enough. I don't want to be the grinch.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Holidays

• OP here-shes 13 mths old. I'm a SAHM if this helps answer this question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Would your husband be really upset with you if you didn't? Is it going to make you broke? I think as long as your not going to finacially suffer from it then why not... or just maybe try and find her something cheaper, so both of you are happy...especially the daughter
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 12:17 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• How could she know yur being a grich if she dosent know if you were gonna get it in the first place??? Tell your hubby that enough is enough f thats truly how you feel. Maybe the buggy would be more age appropriate but thinkof it as just ONE MORE THING u gotta pick up later on lol. who knows, maybe you can tell him santa will bring her one! lol *but seriously, tell him to get a grip and listen to you* good luck!
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 12:18 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I don't see the harm in it if you can afford it. Maybe the two of you can compromise on something, like buy her another gift, but tie it in with one that you've already bought. You said he bought her a motorized car? How about a cute helmet to go along with it? I know your daughter is very young, but she could use it when she gets a little older - it'll happen way faster than you think! ;) Or maybe a cute outfit complete with "riding boots"? :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Sounds like she is getting plenty of stuff anyway. I don't think kids should get a ton of stuff for Christmas, then every Christmas after that they come to expect it. I would be the "grinch" since you have already gotten her a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• My DD is 20 months old. From us, she is getting:
    3 wooden puzzles
    A xylophone
    5 books
    THAT'S IT.
    If you already bought her a motorized car, why does she need a buggy? Take the money & put it into something she can actually use, like a college savings account... not some stupid toy that she's not going to remember in 5 years. Overkill is not always a good thing...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I'm with anon 2:55. If you have the money to spend, put it in the bank. Tell him to look at it this way: if the toy is bought now, by the time she goes to college it will be long gone in a landfill somewhere, thus adding to the pollution mess her generation will have to deal with and TOTALLY depreciated. In the bank, it will have earned interest and with similar deposits will make it a bit easier to afford college. Guys like to be the fun, wrestle around, play games type of parents. Well, make it into a sort of game. For each bday and xmas, think of one toy u want her to have. If she can live w/out it, put the amount you were gonna spend on it in her acct. Make it a challenge for him to see which one of u can come up with the bigger amount. He might think it's fun that way and ur DD will be the one who wins in the end. Just try to convince him it was HIS idea...that should help him get on board.
    greenmom4543

Answer by greenmom4543 at 5:27 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Tell you husband to put the extra money in your child's college fund.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I don't see the point of buying that many presents for such a young kid. My daughter is getting 15 presents. 5 big presents and 10 little ones. But she's almost 6. You daughter won't remember and probably won't even care if there's 2 or 22 presents for her. When my dd was a toddler she used to play with the cereal box all the long live day. I bought her 8 presents for xmas and, yes, she was happy to see all these presents, but she played with them for 3-4 days and then returned to the cereal boxes!!

Her 2nd bday was 3 months later. I bought her 1 musical instrument and 3 books. When she opened her presents she put the toys on the floor, grabed the boxes, said "thank you" and went to her room!!

Really, no point in buying a baby a bunch of presents.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 7:21 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Whens her birthday? you could always get it for her then. MY DD really wanted a big girl bike, and I wanted to get her one but hubby said no. We are going to get it for her birthday instead, which kinda makes more sense because her birthday is at the end of May.
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 9:25 AM on Dec. 24, 2009