A race question

I seena few questions about race and stuff and I have an actual question that I really would like good advice on

Where we live , there is really only white people... ( we have 1 black man, married to a white woman, and they have kids) ..so it is a really small town...we go out of town to go shopping and stuff and the town we go to has people of different races.

My question is...when my 3 year old daughter points or asks about someone ( like why they are different color) what do I say to her....I dont want to tell her to be quite...because I think that would be teaching her wrong...but on the other hand I have no idea what to say...and if I do say something, I am afriad they will hear and be offended...

I remember when i was a kid and my moms friend told me it was because they ( black people) stayed in the sun too long, and i actually believed that for a long time...I dont want something like ( continued)

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 12:27 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was in the same situation, thankfully I found myself in a good spot to deal with it in a head-on way....We were at a park and a little boy the same age as my daughter, but a different colour, wanted to play with her....they played well together and then I noticed them touching each others arms...it was cute....they wanted to see if they felt different too....Both his mother and I started chatting and we both thought it was cute....and she moved right in and capitalized on it by offering her own arm for my daughter to feel as well....I loved it !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 7:28 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• that happening to my kids...

We believe in God ..so i thought the best thing would be to just say that is how God made us/them

I just dont know
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:28 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Yes, that would work. Just say God made each person different.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• You can just expose her to kids programs/books/toys that feature different races. If she asks in an embarrassing public way just say people come in all different sizes and colors. When she's a little older you can teach her about the evolution of different races. How dark skin protects humans from the sun in tropical climates and light skin allows for vitamin D absorption in cooler climates.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• The above answers are good ones. I mean, it IS true that God made us all different. We are created to look different from one another, but remain PERFECT in His image. "Isn't it wonderful that God made people to be so different, but all still so perfect?"

Books, movies, tv shows, toys etc are all ways to introduce and celebrated diversity to your child too. In fact, I think it's vital to their understanding of the world and the people around them.

Thanks for asking this. As a minority, it is sometimes difficult to deal with the constant racism that surrounds me. Just 2 days ago, an elderly man started mocking me by speaking to me in fake Chinese.....he wouldn't stop, so I turned around exclaiming, "I SPEAK ENGLISH ONLY!"

I can tolerate every type of ignorance, EXCEPT racism. Mostly because my daughter (age 20) is a victim of it more than I and I fear for my younger children too. (19 months and 1 unborn)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• If your christian then ok say god but i dont believe in that god. I am wiccan and yes i do tell my DD to shut up. i think it is rude for anyone and kids to point and say look he looks black or this and that. i tell her to lower her voice and to shush up. All i say is "because thats how he/she is/looks" i dont need to go in depth, she is only 5!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• When our daughter was small, we told her that people come in different shapes, sizes and colors

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• This is a very nicely asked question and I think a lot of people have wondered this themselves at one time or another.
    I love the response of telling your daughter that God made each of us differently and uniquely special. Exposing her to books and other 'safe' media is a good way to teach her to love all people so she can grow to see the person and not their color.

I think it is terrible how in my childhood years people were very ignorant and rude, but it was accepted as the norm. My mom had two lady friends named Kathy whom we knew for years as Kathy and Black Kathy. The regular Kathy was white, as you may have guessed. There is NO WAY I would teach my children this differentiation today! I am so glad that people are being educated and many people are learning and trying to apply kindness when addressing other races. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of ignorance out there.

Kudos to you on teaching your daughter!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:12 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• WTH...And they say the American education system is failing. Does anyone here know anything about genes, melanin, folic acid, and sunlight? How do you live, people, with no actual knowledge of how things work?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• To Anon....you are completely right ! That explanation would be great ! Thanks for pointing that out too....but honestly, no need to put it in the insulting manner you did.....melanin and other pigments would make a great explanation ! Maybe you could enlighten everyone who are not scientifically inclined.
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 7:33 AM on Dec. 24, 2009