Doctor stretched my cervix but I'm only 36 1/2 weeks... think i just lost my mucus plug.. could this cause me to go into labor?

I had my check up today... regular doc on vaca... the other doc inpractice asked me if if hurt when she was checking me and i said yes. her response was oh then i can't stretch your cervix if it is already hurting - i had never asked about this and do not want to have this baby early esp on xmas.... then suddenly she asked me if I wanted her to stretch my cervix and before me or my husband have a chance to say anything - she just does it... i have been feeling crampy since i got home and now had a thin colored discharge when i went to the bathroom....

from what i read this sounds like the mucus plug.... i am freaked out b/c i do not know why the hell she would even think of doing that to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You are just crampy and spotty from the exam. That is normal. It can cause a few contractions too. You can lose your plug and not go into labor for weeks. Relax and get off your feet. Drink lots of water and don't over focus on every little thing your body does it will drive you insane.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:44 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• She shouldn't have done that without your consent. I would call the office and tell them what happened and how you are feeling and see if it's normal.

Your mucus plug is a really thick glob. When (if) you see it, you'll definitely be like "what the heck??"

I would just drink lots of water, put your feet up and relax till the cramping stops in the meantime. I'm sorry she did that to you , I'd be highly pissed off too.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 1:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• WTH? What kind of freaking doctor takes steps to speed up cervical change on a woman who is only in her 36th week. I'm sorry, I would be filing a complaint with the state medical board and switching practices (Yes, this late in the game). Geez...it is disgusting the things being done to pregnant women by doctors who think they can play God. You didn't even consent and honestly, to even ask when you are only in your 36 week is irresponsible.

this really isn't about being "pissed off" but rather about taking action against this doctor.
    happySAHMmomof2

Answer by happySAHMmomof2 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Thats horrible, i agree with the pp, you should go to the medical board with this because its completely irresponsible and unethical for a doctor to do that. You are only 36 weeks, that doctor could have put your babies life in danger.
    Its not allowed to do without consent anyway, i really hope you learnded something from this and wont allow this doctor near you ever again. Personally i would rather give birth in a car than allow an irresponsible doctor than that near me or my child.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:44 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• thanks for the responses - i am just so freaked out that i don't know what to do... i mean dammit its xmas eve and i have been trying to stay in bed all day but its hard when i have wrapping to do for my family but esp for my4 yr old... i mean what am i suppose to tell him... that santa diudn't come cause momma was feeling sick?!! :O( i really jjust feel like cryin already
    Anonymous

• i agree with the others. also, don't let any doc near your vagina again until after the baby is born. file a complaint, drink lots of water, rest as much as possible.
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 2:21 PM on Dec. 24, 2009