Are Dental Veneers good? I dont know what to do about My DH's teeth... Help me please!?!?!

Okay so basically his Mom was a worthless POS and didnt take care of DH or teach him how to care for himself. His teeth were always bad cause she didnt care. When he got old enough to realize what was happening with his mouth it was almost to late. He has all of his teeth and his front teeth are nice until you get up close to them.. His back teeth are always in pain... His whole mouth is always in pain... My Mom had her tooth drilled once when I was little. She ended up getting an infection in her tooth that moved into her sinuses and almost caused her to die so im really paranoid about dental hygiene... Would it be a good idea to see if I can get my DH Dental veneers? Since his teeth are beyond repair? I dont want him to be sick and in pain anymore and I dont want the constant worry of him getting an infection... What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Health

• Veneers might be a good option, but I'd take him to a dentist to get an opinion on what to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• His dentist said his teeth were in poor condition and that he would need several different evaluations on what to fo for them... The doc was even afraid to touch them cause he didnt want them to shatter with his tools... DH said he just wanted to get them pulled and get the permanent fake teeth put in so he wasnt in pain anymore. He takes good care of them now its just from him growing up and never once going to the dentist or anything theyre really terrible...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• His dentist would be the one to talk to about this, or maybe ask for a referral, you know, a little help in the right direction. I'm afraid of the drill too. I developed a dry socket years ago after having a molar removed. Worse pain ever! I'd rather give birth........seriously. Glad your mom is ok. Hope things work out for your husband.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Veneers are pretty much cosmetic. Your DH sounds like he has serious dental issues & getting veneers would be like putting a fresh coat of paint on a house that's falling apart. Trust me I'm a Dental Assistant (well, I SAH now) & your DH's mouth sounds like my SO's, unfortunately. Your DH will probably need root canal therapy & restoration &/or crowns, he made need cavities restored & possibly extraction (he would need a partial denture, bridge or dental implants).

The work you get done will depend on your insurance & what you can afford since there will be different options for your budget. Also, if you need to, you can try to find a dentist that will let you make payments. I worked for a office that would set up the payments by basically letting you take out a loan, like if you were buying a car.

I know you are nervous (I'm sure DH is too) but, this will only get worse the longer it goes on, so go soon! Good Luck!
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:24 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Veneers are EXPENSIVE. A good set is upwards of $10,000. IF you can afford it, go for it. I'd love to get veneers. I have to get them for my daughter's front teeth because she has hypcalcification of the tooth enamel and her teeth look like they are rotting. Though they aren't.
    Anonymous