Fruits and veggies and morning sickness (please read full question before replying)

I was wondering if anyone gets sick after eating fruits or veggies in their first trimester. With my first pregnancy I couldn't eat either until my morning sickness went away. I am pregnant with my second and the fruits and veggies are upsetting my stomach just about all day but I am not vomiting right after eating them. People tell me I'm just making excuses because I don't want to eat them.. and people who know me well know that's not true. I love nothing more than having veggie and fruit trays in the house to snack on throughout the day. One of my favorite foods at parties is homemade fruit salad! It's driving me bonkers because I want to eat them so bad but know I'll be in pain or vomiting if I do.

alinker

Asked by alinker at 1:08 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I believe you, and I'm sure a lot of other mom's would too. Some people get sick from their favorite foods when they're pregnant. I never got sick over fruits and vegetables, but I did get sick with breakfast food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• What kinds of fruits are you eating? Acidic fruits can upset anyone's stomach so I'd hate to know what it would do to a pregnant women's! Have you tried juices? I don't normally recommend them but if you get the ones that are made with all friut and nothing added, they aren't bad. If you haven't already, you might try melons. Watermelon is mostly water with flavoring and has tons of nutritional value. Cantalope is um, how do you say it? It's heavier and has more natural sugar, if that makes any sense. Strawberries have tons of folic acid in them which is what I ate instead of taking pre-natals. You might just want to try experimenting with what makes you sick and what doesn't. Lettuce isn't heavy and is great filler and has fiber and Vitamin C.

I hope this helps because you really do need the fruits and veggies. Especially if your not taking the pre-natals like me. Those made me sick.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:31 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Cantaloupe is one of the few fruits that don't make me sick. Strawberries do (which REALLY sucks because they are my absolute favorite!) I am taking prenatals but have to take them at night before bed because my morning sickness isn't as bad then. I'm an estimated 7 weeks along so I'm hoping not to have to put up with this much longer :/
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:43 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Cantalope has fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin A and potassium..all of which are great! Have you tried eating strawberries with something? Maybe put them in a salad?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:49 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• No I haven't. I have a hard time eating salad too :( I went to Houlihans with my mom the other day and only ate half my salad before I started feeling sick. I used to put them along with Bear Naked granola in Vanilla lowfat yogurt but my stomach doesn't like that either :/ I have to force myself to eat cereal (I can only stand a few bites) and I used to slice fresh strawberries into my cereal (I liked putting them in the special K cereal with strawberries...
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 2:00 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• you are probably just going to have to experiment and try everything to find out what your stomach can handle and what it can't. you could always try a smoothie made with fresh or frozen fruit and plain yogurt. or try cooking with fruit, like apricot chicken and stuff like that. good luck, and i hope the nausea doesn't last long!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:22 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I wonder if it is too acidic for you right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• plants which are what fruit and veggies are have esterols in them which are hormones. When you are first pregnant you are already being overrun with hormones and that is a large cause of the sickness so the added hormones from the fruit and veggies are only making it harder on your stomach, it should go away later in pregnancy. I have the same problem I just can't keep them down and they are some of the worst things to throw up IMO.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I'm in the same boat I LOVE Mango and have been craving it but everytime I eat it I either get a upset tummy or I vomit(so NOT fun) Oh and I am 13 weeks. Dairy does the same thing to me I miss eating cereal. Hopefully this ends for the both of us soon. Congratulations on your pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• have you tried drinking a glass of milk before you eat them? usually milk will coat your tummy. unless milk will make you sick too. something to try though. it really helped with my morning sickness. also bread.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 9:21 AM on Dec. 24, 2009