mucus plug question

I am 37 weeks with my first and can't find anywhere in the books exactly when you would lose the mucus plug. do you lose it when you first start dilating and effacing? or is it at any point during the dilating process? and, this will be the stupid question part, but like I said first baby, but is there any way to not notice losing it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't notice with my first but I'm pregnant with my second (34wks) and I've lost it or some of it, but it rebuilds itself -you can lose it more than once and some don't always notice it. I don't really know how it relates to any of the other things.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:18 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• There is no set time to lose it. You can even lose it more than once.
    With my first I didnt ( to my knowledge) but with my second I lost it about 4 times between 30 weeks and 39 weeks
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:21 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• There is no set time and a lot of times you loose it so slowly and over so many weeks that you won't even notice it...just seems like a bit more discharge. If you do loose it all at once, it could be a sign that labor is near...but labor could still be weeks away.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• the mucus plug REBUILDS itself constantly. so if you lose it, some people don't notice some people just start labor w/o losing it, you could lose it over a period of weeks. just where a panty liner. they only time i noticed it was when i went to the bathroom and wiped. there's no way to not lose it. it's just a natural thing that happens. and if it does happen, just take it as a sign that your body is getting ready for labor, which could happen that day or a few weeks away from the time you start losing your plug.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:18 PM on Dec. 26, 2009