DD on Older Infant formula questions....Did you?

My dd is 1 year and a couple of weeks old and our pediatrician wants us to stop formula but is not too pushy about it, but she still wants formula so DH and I want to have her get into table food as she wants to *she wanted less formula at 7 months so we fed her more baby food on time, but w/o our pushing* so Were gonna let her ease out of it untill shes not interested *I draw the line t 2 yrs old though!

Who fed their babies older infant formula/reg formula, for how long, and did it affect their teeth???

shortycmlb

Asked by shortycmlb at 3:03 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Human children over 12 months don't need cow's milk. Cow's milk formula is just something to keep babies alive until they can eat other foods well at 12 months. Cow's milk is for baby cow's and human children don't need cow's milk at all. At most they should have 2 servings of milk products a day. Toddlers like foods with milk in them and it can be hard to keep cow's milk consumption down to 2 servings even if they don't even don't drink any milk.

Cow's milk causes constipation, anemia, and other dietary problems.

Why don't doctors know this? Doctors aren't trained in nutrition. The dairy industry has lots of money and has used it to influence food pyramids and educational material for doctors with misinformation.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:53 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My son switched to milk at 9 months, he was off the bottle so that is when he came off the formula. He was eating table food when he was the same age.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:12 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• i stopped formula at 1 yr, and then switched to whole milk..my daughter had a bottle til she was 2 (ya ya ya, to old, i know, but she loved it lol) she only ever had it at night tho...and it didnt affect her teeth at all..shes 5ys old now and has never had any cavaties or other dental problems...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:25 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• When your pediatrician says to stop formula, they mean to start whole milk, right? You can ease the transition by just adding 2 oz of milk to 6 oz of formula for 1-2 days, then 4 oz of milk & 4 oz of formula for 1-2 days, then 6 oz of milk to 2 oz of formula for 1-2 days, then you are switched. We were not in a hurry to get our little one off the bottle. Self-weaning for it, no dental problems for us either. Don't expect your DD to dive into all the new foods and textures of table food. You may have to add things one at a time so she isn't overwhelmed. Ours is a picky one, too, but growing like a weed, and very healthy. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:28 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• With my dd we did it cold turkey gave her whole milk, and she was fine. Also don't give her too many table food options or you will get a picky eater, our dd eats what we do and it has worked great.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:14 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I have seen commercials for formula for older babies/toddlers. I don't remember what it's called but if you just really don't want to push her into switching to whole milk, you might look into that.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 7:51 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• We got a freebie in the mail of "toddler formula" so we used that canister when he was like 11 months old, but we started mixing it 50/50 with whole milk to ease the transition. Gradually we started using less and less formula and more milk. By age 1 he was on just the whole milk.

Answer by missanc at 8:54 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Try slowly switching her to cow's milk or soy milk. I mixed an ounce of cow's into the formula at each feeding to start with, then two ounces, etc. until she was only drinking cow's milk. Once she was switched over to cow's milk successfully, I went cold turkey from the bottle to the sippy cup. (I still heated the milk and got the blanky and sat down to feed her like I always did, but just gave it in a sippy instead of a bottle). She fussed about it for three days and then it was over...she's been drinking exclusively from sippy cups ever since. As long as your consistent...your baby will adjust quickly. If you don't do it soon though, you'll be sorry...toddlers become MUCH more difficult when it comes to changes in routine than babies. Trying to get a toddler off of formula will be MUCH MUCH harder than getting your one year old off of it. Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Slowly start mixing in whole milk. The transition should take about a week. There is no need for formula after 1 year - and it's expensive!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:31 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I never used the older formula. My girls were BF past 1 but all kids stopped what formula they were on at 12mos...I agree with the cost and its not necessary.
    Anonymous