Has anyone with pancreatis had Whipple procedure?

I'm not exactly sure what that is, but my SIL who has been suffering greatly from pancreatis is scheduled for this surgery in February. I understand it is very dangerous and used as a last resort. She has been having for years severe pain and nausea and has lost a good deal of weight. We are all very concerned and are hoping that this surgery will give her a better quality of life so that she can eat normally and gain back some weight. A feeding tube was put in to try to help her gain, but it hasn't helped much. She is on strong meds for pain and nausea just so she can work and pretty much function. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has had this done and if anyone knows of a specialist, please share!! Thank you!

Chickadee

Asked by Chickadee at 7:49 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Health

• A family friend had this procedure done two years ago. It was a long recovery, but he's doing amazingly well! It took the better part of two years for him to be 100%, but from about six months on it was small stuff that didn't really interfer with his quality of life that much. He just had to do things a little slower, or for shorter periods of time. His voice was not much more than a whisper for awhile because they cut (or moved or did something to) his diaphragm to get to some of his other organs. I think that was one of the things that took the longest to come back.

I really hope things go smoothly for your SIL and she has the same results as our friend.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:07 AM on Dec. 24, 2009