How much Dimetapp can I give my 1 year old?

What is the correct dosage?

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 10:19 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• don't know, never gave a 1yr old dimetap before...what does it say on the bottle? doctors normally tell me just to give motrin or tylenal to my kids (1&2) for now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• You are not supposed to give a one year old that unless a doctor says. I don't think doctors even recommend stuff like that for 3 and under. I could be wrong though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• There are basically no dosing charts for kids under 6 anymore due to the FDA's new recommendation due to stupid parents ODing their children on the stuff. However, askdrsears.com has some dosing charts on there. Why do you feel the need to give these types of meds to a 1 year old though?
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:32 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• They do not recommend you give these kinds of meds to 1 year olds. If the child has a cough or cold, try nasal saline nasal drops and use a suction bulb to suck out the mucos, use a Vicks humidifier and try baby Vicks rub. Rub it on their feet and put socks on them before bed. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:36 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• There are basically no dosing charts for kids under 6 anymore due to the FDA's new recommendation due to stupid parents ODing their children on the stuff.

and here we have a question. this would be the reason why! ask your pediatrician, don;t ask a bunch of nameless/faceless people on the internet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• You need to ask your doctor, not a bunch of people on the internet. It is not generally recommended to give babies any kind of OTC medicine for cough and cold.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I didn't even think that kind of mednience was for kids,and I agree with the PP's call your doc's office & ask them.
    cutebaby06

Answer by cutebaby06 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• NONE!!!!!!-Don't give Dimetapp to your 1 year old, please. Cough and cold meds aren't safe for children under 2 years old. (They stopped giving them even up to 6 y/o w/o a doctor's orders). You need to go to the doctor and he can prescribe something for infants. Does he have a cough or cold? Fever? Runny nose? The cough could be an indicator of many things, possibly pneumonia (maybe not). Could be bronchitis or many other things. Our son had pneumonia when he was a year old. If you can't get to the doctor, maybe call the Call-a-nurse service in your area?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:06 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Yeah, it's not for 1 year olds. Sorry.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:08 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• You dont give a one yr old any sort of cough medicine!!! If they have a cough bad enough 4 the dr the dr will probally perscribe a nebulizer treatment
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 24, 2009