can you have a period while your pregnant??

cause i took two pregnancy tests and they both came back positive. but now im bleeding and im not having any cramping at all so i dont think its a miscarriage.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have been told you can't really have a period. However, I had one "regular" period and didn't know I was pregnant until I was well over a month along. I bled like a normal period. My mother didn't know she was pregnant for 3 or 4 months because she had regular, monthly bleeding.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:46 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• it's not technically a "period". but bleeding in early pregnancy or throughout the pregnancy can be misinterpreted as a period. but it's not really a "period". just bleeding from the pregnancy.

I would go see your Dr. to make sure the bleeding isn't anything seroius.

congrats and good luck Momma!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Yes you can. I did during my first pregnancy.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:20 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• No, you cannot. Having your period means that the thick lining that has built up in your uterus is shedding because there is no fertilized egg for it to nourish. This is the same thing that happens every month that you are not pregnant. When you are pregnant, you may spot or bleed a bit here & there & it may be mistaken for a period, but it is physically impossible to have a regular full period while you are pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• People may think its a period but like the other poster said, you can not have a real period because if you did your entire linining would shed & the baby would have no place to live.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• A period, no. Bleeding, yes. You may bleed and think it's a period. I know I did with my first for the first 5 months. I didn't even know I was pregnant until I was about 22 weeks along. Scary! But, all was and still is well, so I'm thankful. But anyways, no. You can not have a period, but you can bleed. If it's BRIGHT red blood, like a papercut would bleed, I'd go get checked out just to be sure. Good luck!! Congrats!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• no you can NOT have a period while you are pregnant and anybody that says you can really needs to research what a pregnancy is!!

However, you can bleed for a number of reasons... some are signs of concern and some are scary but normal. Is the blood brownish? If it is then you are probably totally fine. If its red, I would kinda go on modified bedrest for a few days and see if it stops and if it doesnt, contact your doc.

Cramping in the first trimester sucks, is scary but fortunately is very common
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:09 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• My doctor told me that it is basically a period, but they prefer to call it "vaginal bleeding"...after all, the blood is coming from the same place...it leaks from your cervix, therefore it is coming from your uterus, making it in general terms, a "period" Every woman in my mother side of the family has bled a "normal period" throught he whole 9 months, causing them to not know when they are pregnant. For that very reason, I have to test every month, just in case...but when I got pregnant, both times, I didn't bleed for the time that I was pregnant. But, I would go and get checked out, just in case, because when I miscarried the 2nd time, I bled for nearly 4 days before I actually lost the baby.
    jazi1105

Answer by jazi1105 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 24, 2009