Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to take a cruise with hubby but never have done this before. What is a good price and what should I expect to pay in fees etc. on the cruise. I've heard of these fees or taxes when you get to places or something. For a five day cruise what is a good amount to save up for total?

I would like to know a good amount total (including fees and taxes) to save up for spending on a cruise to the Cayman Islands or Mexico. Also when is a good time (cheap) time to travel to these places? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We've never cruised before.

Answer Question

Asked by Inana at 10:47 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Travel

Level 8 (223 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Call a travel agent and tell them what you want to do. I was on a list with my TA and got a 7 day cruise for two for $349.00. It was a deal too good to pass up. They can tell you what taxes and such will be. I think you have to have a passport now so if you don't have one, get one. You also have to pay several tips and parking fees if you are driving to the terminal. I went on Carnival. Go to their site and see what they are offering.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:08 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

  • i suggest saving about $2000.00-$3000.00. I've never been on a cruise personally, but I was just helping my sister and brother in law plan and purchase theirs. Now, the money I've said to save up, is because of spending money while on the cruise also. You can get it much cheaper, about half the price, depending on which ship you choose, where on the boat you'd like to stay and so on. They wanted the fancy shmancy room with all the amenities and everything. Take a look on They have discounts and things on all sorts of cruises. Maybe like admckenzie said, take a look on some cruise websites. I'm sure you can look to see how much it would cost, without actually having to buy. Set it up like you're going to buy, and just leave the site or "go back" when you get to the buying part. That's how my sister and her husband got their estimates. Flight and hotel stays (if needed) included!! =] good luck!! have fun!!

    Answer by mommykayti at 12:13 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

  • depends on when you want to go and many other variables. we find them economicle. we are set at Easter for 565PP for 8 nights. I think that is a great deal. I know how to book them!! The web site has great info!!!

    Answer by chefjen at 11:55 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

  • you can go to and see prices there. Also, you can register your email for a free vacation in Orlando... thanks

    Answer by adita1152 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

  • I am taking a five cruise to the Eastern Carribean (Nassau, Half Moon Cay, and Grand Turk). We decided to make this a family trip onboard the Carnival Destiny. The Destiny ports in Miami. I paid about $1600 for the four of us for a balcony room, so for just the two of you it should be way less. Side Note - This is an older ship and not quite as sophisticated as some of your higher end cruise ships. However if you are just looking to get away for a bit, then this would be perfect for you. Carnival did not make me pay all monies at once either. It required a down payment of $800 before a certain due date and you can pay off cruise a little at a time until thirty days prior to your sailing date. Once paid in full, all you have to do is figure out how to get to Miami. This would be perfect for you and your spouse. Check online at

    Answer by VeronicaTD at 1:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • Also, no passport is needed for closed-loop cruises - i.e. cruises beginning and ending at the same US port. All you need is photo ID and your proof of US residence (birth certificate). However it is recommended that you travel the seas with a passport because if an emergency happens, you cannot fly home from a non-US based port on your cruise. If you buy the new Passport Card which is half the price of a Passport book in most cases, you still cannot use that to fly either, but you can use it instead of a driver's license or other ID forms. Hope this helps.

    Answer by VeronicaTD at 1:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.