teaching my toddler..?

my son is 13mos, and just isn't interested in much. he won't sit still for me to read to him and doesn't seem real interested in learning things. we'll page through books and point things out to him and tell him names of things and the noises they make, etc. but he just doesn't seem interested.

how do you keep your toddler's interest when doing activities with them? will it be something he just picks up after the repetition?

maybe I'm just worrying too much, lol.

thanks for any tips and advice in advance!

:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• are worried about him learning things with him being so active? if so, teach him through play. like if he's outside and you see a grasshopper make a big deal out of it, show it to him and tell him what it is. he may not be able to say it, but you can make a game out of it, show him what they do, they hop, so he can hop like a grasshopper. same with frogs and toads. just try to make a game out of things and teach him at the same time. like airplane, when you see one in the air, say "Look sweety, and airplane!!" then you can run around with your arms in the air and "fly" like a plane. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• <---- Certified Teacher

Your expecting too much too soon. He's 13 months, still more baby than toddler. Also, boys are more active and harder to wrangle than girls. My son is 20 months and his big sister is 3 years old. I was able to teach my DD more at 20 months than I can my son now. He is still learning, just less focused than my DS is. Also, each kid has their own strength. For my DD it was shapes, numbers, colors, and math. For my son it's language. He understands language way more than my DD did at that age and is learning to talk faster.

Right now focus on teaching him about the world and how it works. Don't worry so much about standard education for another 6 months or so.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:18 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• <---- also a certified teacher. I agree with ThrivingMom.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:34 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• OP here----it's not that I'm expecting all of this of him at 13mos, lol, that's not it.

but I want to start the process of him learning things...and it's not all trivial either. we tell him daily objects, things we use or things we're doing, etc. I guess I just wanted to start a little earlier so it was familiar to him down the road.

thanks for the replies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• you're doing a great job. most kids have an attention span of 2-5 min. as long as you're pointing stuff out to him, he'll grasp it eventually.
    TBSNBubblegum

Answer by TBSNBubblegum at 12:06 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• normal for this age! if he'd rather play than sit and listen to you read or would rather just have fun turning the pages, it's ok! You can continue to read as background noise and overexaggerate the sound of the cow or say "wow look a triangle!!" and if it catches his attention for those few short seconds...that's great! He's probably just more interested in being in his own world right now. My son, 20 m/o has gotten a lot better about listening, but he still prefers to focus on the train toy than the book i'm reading to him lol. Another thing I do, is I play with him. If he doesnt want to listen to me read about shapes or colors, I'll sit down with him and point out the colors or shapes on the toy he's focused on. You'll be amazed how much your son is taking in without "paying attention"
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:06 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• i agreed with the certified teachers above until you posted again.
    if thats the case then i think he is completely normal. and i think he'll catch on eventually. he hears you.
    maybe hes ignoring you lol...
    im sure he'll get it. itll take time, and like you said,
    with repetition he'll get better and better. just keep it up.
    one day he'll be SO into it and it'll seem like it happened overnight.
    at least this is how my now three and a half year old was.
    good luck!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:06 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• he is still to young. i ddint start teaching dd stuff til she tunr 24 mts. she is now 35 mts and knows alot for her age. wiat a lil he will be ready soon
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:07 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Not sitting for long, going from one thing to another is very normal for a 13 month old. That is what they do, so please stop worrying.

donzgurl

Answer by donzgurl at 1:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Reading to young children doesn't "teach" them. You don't need to worry about reading to your child or teaching numbers, colors, ect.

If you want your child to bilingual it is important to expose them to the other language before the age 3. Children are born with the ability to speak all languages. That ability to make certain sounds starts to go away in most of us starting at age 3. That's why some people have an accent no matter how hard they try.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2009