Would you accept a Facebook friend request from your therapist?

Because I got a friend request from my therapist today. I wanted to know what other people thought about it.

camdensmom06

Asked by camdensmom06 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Health

• lol I saw your post on sahm's! I would feel a bit awkward. I mean it's great to be on a friendship-level with a therapist, but at the same time, it needs to stay professional. If I no longer saw the therapist, I'd feel comfortable adding her/him then since it would be more of a "keeping-in-touch" situation at that time. I dont think anyone gets a "request denied" message on facebook
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:11 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Nobody?
    camdensmom06

Answer by camdensmom06 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Owl, thanks. I'm posting this in a few different places to try to get more input. I'm also wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I don't think she would get a request denied notification, but she would know if I didn't accept, KWIM? What if she brings it up?
    camdensmom06

Answer by camdensmom06 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I think it was unprofessional of her to send that to you. Maybe she thinks you tell her everything already. lol
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:15 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• if she brings it up, as some said in the sahm group, I'd just tell her it wasnt "personal".
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:16 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Not until s/he was done being my therapist. Otherwise, it's too weird.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:17 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• everyone has private things to share on facebook, some stuff a therapist doesnt need to know lol. Like if she saw something on facebook and brought it up at the session, or if she brought up something from therapy on facebook, for all to see, wouldnt that be a little awkward? Some things need to stay private and only discussed between you and the therapist on the clock, in the office, face-to-face.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:19 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• It's totally unprofessional. Therapists are supposed to not even acknowledge you are patient other than in their office unless you engage them first.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• i agree with kitty... it is unprofessional and unethical.. they can't acknowledge you out of the office. I would say no...at least until you are an ex-patient then its up to you.

I would feel uncomfortable with it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• No. Your relationship with her should be strictly professional.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 12:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2009