how do I handle this problem?

first of all so sorry to bother you mom's on chistmas time. but my situation starts that when ZI go tgo my in laws on chistmas day their always takling me and I get the feeling that is not good talk and I would very much like them to stip .before I say something to all of them that will hurt them.(them are aunts ).they are all from my husband side of the family. So what do I do? help.please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't understand why people subject themselves to this hurtful, demeaning behavior. If it is important for your SO to attend family functions, he should just go without you. I would think most SO's would stand up to them to get them to stop - if they don't, then why would HE want to be around people who disrespect an important person in his life.

I started throwing out the "trash" in my family a long time ago. I don't associate with most of them, so I certainly wouldn't put up with demeaning behavior from anyone elses families.... I have phenomenal friends whose families welcome me into their homes, treat me WELL, and LOVE ME tremendously. I spend time with my sister's in laws on holidays too!

I used to put up with a little bit of it when I was younger, but decided it's not worth it to be uncomfortable at joyous times of celebration! (Or EVER)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• http://health.yahoo.com/experts/healthieryou/13997/6-difficult-holiday-personalitiesand-how-to-handle-them/

I'm kind of confused on what you are asking, but maybe this link will help?
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 12:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• the question is how do I stop the inlaws from talking about me. Before I freak out on them
    Anonymous

• I'd just smile at them and walk away. That makes you mysterious and it will drive them nuts. It's their ignorance that is causing the problem. Don't sink to their level. Be calm and just smile. It's not worth the effort to let them get to you. If they see they cannot upset you then they will stop.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:46 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I think you should ignore them. Does their judgement make you any less of a human being or wonderful person that you are? No. I think not. Ignore their hurtful behaivor and know that you are a wonderful person no matter what they say about you.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• So the PP's life is perfect. Anyway, the only way to get his family to stop is to do it yourself if your SO won't.
    Anonymous

• Don't go. Don't subject yourself to ridicule just to make your SO happy. He obviously doesn't care to make you happy by telling them to stop, so why try and please him?
    daddysgrl718

Answer by daddysgrl718 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• For once, if they start their bs, call them out on it. Tell them you just don't want to hear it. Even if it's uncomfortable or untimely, shut them up for once.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:53 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Either don't go or if you do go and they start, I agree you call them out. A simple "What is your problem with me?" should suffice.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 5:49 PM on Dec. 24, 2009