I know this is wrong but....

My son is 8.5 months old how is the world do you get them to sleep without a bottle. I know it's a no no to give them a bottle in bed if I don't he will scream and not go to sleep I've tried warm water or tea he just wants thicker liquid. He does have 3 teeth so here is the routine he gets baby food 2hours before bed then a bath then lotion and jammies and then a bottle then we brush his teeth and tuck him in. Then he will pull himslef up and scream forever and get very worked up. When I give him a bottle he sucks on it and goes to sleep I know you are not suppose to but I need some peace any other ideas and I brush his teeth first thing in the morning.

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 1:06 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I say let him have his formula for now. But slowly start watering it down until it is just water. Worked wonderfully for both my kids.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:48 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I always gave a bottle at bedtime. When they hit a year I switched the bottle to water, they liked it just the same.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:11 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I gave all three of my babies a bottle at bedtime until they were a year old. After that, they got a sippy with water in it.
    Anonymous

• Well I give my 7 month old a bottle before I put her down. Try a dark room and when you give the bedtime bottle give a couple more ounces in it and maybe your baby will drift off to sleep. Maybe wait an extra half hour before the bedtime bottle. I would never give a bottle to a baby in the crib thats just dangerous....
    Anonymous

• Are you leaving him unattended with the bottle? Why not try NO BOTTLE right after bathtime, put him to bed a 1/2 hour later than usual, and give him the bottle while holding him? Hopefully, he will fall asleep in your arms.

If money is not an issue, and the above suggestions don't work - then perhaps the full screen baby monitor will work, so you can still watch him while he drinks and falls asleep.

Actually, I'm not sure how dangerous what you're doing even is....I would think very minimal since he can hold his own bottle and move his body normally....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• you're clearly worried about his teeth and I believe as long as you are brushing them night and morning and after any sweets you should be just fine. Dont let him prolong the use of a bottle after the age of one because then you will risk messing his teeth up. For now, relax and SLOWLY work a new routine in that has no bottle in it so when he does reach one years old you dont have to cold turkey snatch his bottle away. My son is two and still enjoys a sippy with milk right before bed......I think it's just a kid thing as well as they are still needing comfort somehow. My son sleeps alone so I allow him to have his milk in a sippy but I do not let him suck on it all night, just to fall asleep.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Yeah he can hold his own bottle and throws it when he is done he can crawl and move however he wants so to me it's not dangerous but that whatever the opion about that that's not my question so yeah basically I was worried about his teeth thanks
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 2:02 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Thank you purpleducky that sounds like a great idea.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 5:02 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Me an my DH just starting working on getting my 8 month old son 2 sleep with out his bobby (bottle) 2. He eats dinner...plays for awhile....daddy gives him a bath rubs lotion on him dresses him an then we give him his bobby after he is done we put him in his bed with his binky. Its been a week an after the first night we've had no problems....I hope you get it figured out. Good luck!
    LilRed2130

Answer by LilRed2130 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2009