Constipation

What would you do for an 8 week old with constipation? He tries so hard to push and I thought it was gas for a while but i'm sure it's constipation. Not sure what to do for him, he's EBF

Jessie1689

Asked by Jessie1689 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call your ped and see what they want you to do. My daughter who is now 6 months was the same way. One time we gave her a little Childrens Milk of Magnisea (ped told us to) another time he told us to put miralax in her bottle. You could try some water less than an ounce for a baby that young....
    Anonymous

• If the stool that he passes is not dry, hard or pellet like, it's not constipation. Additionally, if he is EBF, and 8 weeks old, it's normal and safe to go up to 10ish days with out a bowel movement, as long as it's not dry, hard or pellet like. At 8 weeks, pushing and grunting is normal, they're still learning how to manipulate the bowels.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Water is unnecessary, and miralax isn't that safe for pediatric use. It isn't approved for kids, let alone infants. Again, I stress that this is most likely normal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I had to change formula to Enfamil Gentlease. According to my ped and to the internet research I did - NOTHING is safe for a baby that young. However, alot of mommies post home remedies that work, I've noticed.

You will see some controversy about what to give....but peds also say water isn't safe for newborns 3 mo. or younger, when historically, most parents gave their newborns water....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I just want to make my baby feel better. He's been grunting and pushing and crying for the first hour he was up till he finally fell asleep. I would say it's only been about a week since he's had a BM. I've already cut out dairy cause I thought that was the problem, maybe it wasn't?

Doctors office just called back and said I could give him a gylcern(sp) suppository every 4 days if needed. I just don't know what to do!
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• If the doc said it's ok to give the glycerin suppository, I've used them too. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but get the pediatric ones, and cut it in half lengthwise if you decide to use it. If dairy IS the problem (which, I'm not convinced there IS a problem) it can take 2 weeks to fully get out of your and his system. I know it seems weird, but grunting and pushing is normal, and breastmilk often leaves very little waste to be excreted. With my first, I thought it was abnormal, and DID frequently use the suppositories, but learned that it's ok, and didn't use it with my second. He pooped every 8 days or so. Soft poo. Like I said, I'd do nothing if the poop is not dry, hard or pellet like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Every 4 days.. a suppository.. are you kidding me? This kid is not going to be able to pooh by himself. I'd leave it alone until you see what the poop looks like WITHOUT the suppository.
    Anonymous

• Likely at this age for an EBF baby it is not constipation. My first went a week or two sometimes without pooping in the early months. As someone else said it can take up to 2 weeks for the dairy to get out of both of yours systems and he still needs to get that poop that is in there out IF it is constipation. It could also just be gas bubbles in there that are making him seem uncomfortable. I personally would wait it out a few more days to see if he poops before giving anything.
    Anonymous