Screening fees to rent a house?

I was just browsing rental listings and came across one where there is $30 required per adult applying for a screening fee. Now, I know it costs money to do a background check, I've had several done in my line of work and to volunteer at our children's school, that costs $10. Does it cost money to do a credit check on a person? $30 just seems a bit steep to me, especially per adult for just applying. I know some rental agencies charge an application fee, but I've seen those run about $25 per family. This isn't an agency, it's a private person. Just curious because I've never seen it before. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• They can charge whatever they feel is reasonable. It costs money for the background check itself and they are probably charging for their time to screen applicants. They also use that strategy to ward off potentially bad tenants (or I'm sure that's what they think). Funny since drug dealing renters have lots of money and don't care about paying fees so the strategy isn't really a good one.
    Anonymous

• I think the charge is whack, but I agree with everything Anon :28 said....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I think they have to charge because they get charged as well for running the credit check. So maybe the price they charge is the price they get charged... but honestly I can not be too sure, that would just be my best guess
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 2:00 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Many landlords use a service to run the background/credit check. In my town it's RealCheck. They charge $35 per applicant.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• that seems pretty normal to me. I have no idea what they do with the money but your story seems pretty average based on my experience.
    Anonymous

• I had to pay $35 per adult. There are 3 in my home, one being my uncle. I was a little upset that I had to do one on him since my hubby and I support him 100%, but I can see why they feel the need to do it on EVERY adult. I live in a pretty nice community and fell a little safer knowing they do make all adults go through a screening process....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I used to pay that 15 years ago... I would think it would be higher by now.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 5:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2009