Having my second child, need car seat advice

We are having our second child in May, and I'm wondering about the whole car seat situation. We have a two-year old, and right now he's in a convertible car seat in the middle of the back of our Honda Pilot. I'm thinking that by May, he might weigh enough so that we can use one of the more upright booster seats I've had my eye on. I'm wondering how on earth we're going to fit two car seats in the back, and what you guys have done with two kids. I would like to put the baby in the middle, and our two-year old on either side, but I really don't think the car seats will fit beside each other, or will they?

I'm considering using the convertible seat for the new baby, since it's recommended for baby 5 lbs and over, but I'm afraid I will regret not being able to take the car seat out and carry the baby in it. Have you guys tried this and how did you like it?

shawnaquijada

Asked by shawnaquijada at 1:19 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• ........We also still have the infant car seat that we used for our two-year old, along with three bases. I just can't decide whether to use it or the convertible seat, so I'm seeking your guys' opinions based on experience.
    shawnaquijada

Answer by shawnaquijada at 1:20 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I got a convertable seat when my DD was 3 months old because she was too heavy for me to carry in an infant seat anyway. I love the convertable because it is SO much cheaper, her seat will last her until she doesn't need one. ALSO, if you already have the infant seat, why not get a convertable and if you find it to be too much of a hassel, you already have the other one, you can just switch..?
    Anonymous

• Your older child will not be big or old enough for a booster, unless it is one that has a harness, and turns to a booster later. I'd keep the older child in the seat he's in, provided he fits in it properly, and use an infant seat for the baby, at least in the beginning.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• It may take some work, but it may be possible to fit the seats next to each other. We could fit 3 seats in the back of our small 4-door Dynasty. It just was a pain to get them in!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:08 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Two car seats won't fit side by side in my back seat, so we have the baby and the toddler on the sides. I debated the infant vs. convertible seat, too, and ended up using the infant carrier. At first I thought, we'd have to get another convertible seat anyway, and my toddler would still need to sit in the grocery cart seat so I'd have to wear the baby for shopping no matter what. But then I decided that it would be easier to go out to eat or something if she was in an infant carrier; that way I wouldn't have to hold her and try to eat, or take turns with my husband. It also worked out because I brought her to work with me, and that way I could bring the seat in for her to take naps in and the like (also useful for family/friends' houses). And...the big one...we didn't have to spend any extra money at the time. Yeah, we've still got to get another convertible seat, but we can do it when we have the money. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:26 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I put my 2 year old in a front facing carseat in the back...and 6 month old in the middle in the back in an infant carseat. Soon, he too will be in a front facing carseat. He's already 20lbs.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Michelle- you have to wait until your baby is 1 YEARS OLD AND 20LBS to forward face, so you still have 6 months before you should consider it. It is much safer to rear face past that though.

OP- You cannot put your 2 year old in a booster until they are 4YEARS OLD AND 40LBS. You should be able to fit two carseats in the back if you put one on each side. Go to babies r us they will let you try out different carseats in your car so you can find the one with the best fit.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• To everyone who has said that I wouldn't be able to put my two-year old in a booster seat, this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10929158

He already weighs 27 pounds, so I'm sure that by May, he will weigh 30 pounds and meet the requirements.
    shawnaquijada

Answer by shawnaquijada at 4:37 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I would not put a two year old in a booster, not even a harnessed one. My 2 yr old is still rear faced in his convertible. Why would you not be able to fit two car seats back there? I would use the infant seat for the new baby and keep your 2 yr old in the convertible.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry, I should clarify, I meant I don't know whether we can fit two car seats side by side in the back. I know they recommend putting an infant in the middle, which means my toddler will have to go by a door, but I just don't know if the seats will fit beside each other. But I'm nervous about putting the baby by a door.
    shawnaquijada

Answer by shawnaquijada at 11:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2009