Does gestational Diabities mean large baby?

They just found out I have gestational diabities at 37 weeks...tuesday i have a class to go on a diet for the last 3 weeks and check my blood sugar 4 times a day. I didnt have it with my son he was born at 41 weeks 7lb 10 oz. i am 5'2 and have gained 27 lbs so far. I feal she is big but people tell me my tummys normal or smaller than normal and dr says im measuring normal. But they havent done another ultrasound.

So ill only have 2.5 weeks of do8ing my diet and blood sugars. Does this mean im bound to have a big little girl?

NIKKIANDYBABY

Asked by NIKKIANDYBABY at 2:13 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• nope. *uncontrolled* GD can cause big baby. if you've been eating healthy throughout the pregnancy (as you should :) ) then i'm certain you'll have nothing to worry about.
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 2:16 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Not necessarily, but I'm surprised they didn't find it until now, I mean that they waited so long to do the test.

I had it with my first who ended up being 7 lbs 12 ounces but I was on the diet much longer. Just be strict about your diet and what they tell you to eat, counting carbs, etc.

As a side note, that baby of mine ended up being a type 1 diabetic. They says it's unrelated especially since my sugars were very well controlled, but hey I figured I'd mention it.

Feel free to contact me if you need any support. Carb counting can be overwhelming at first. I'm a pro now after the GD and then with 6 years of type 1 diabetes in the house.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 2:18 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I had GD 36wks into the pregnancy and I had to have stress tests every week and ultrasounds every week until i delivered to monitor him, i loved that part. It was controlled, but he was big and they had to induce my labor because they were afraid i wouldnt be able to deliver vaginally. I wound up with a c-section because i wouldnt dialate. My son was born 9lbs 6oz and 22inches long. now he's 2yo and tall and skinny. he's 37" tall and 28lbs. So he was big at birth but he's good now.
    Anonymous

• Nope doesn't mean that at all but I am surprised they just found that out but then i was 41 when I had my dd she was just 8# just watch your diet and check your blood sugars like you should.
    Anonymous

• Nope, I had GD and my daughter was full term 5lbs 7oz
    college.mom0f2

Answer by college.mom0f2 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Not necessarily- uncontrolled GD can lead to big babies, but now that they've found it they will give you guidelines on how to keep your blood sugar under control. The size of your belly doens't have a lot to do with the size of your baby- I was huge with my kids and my biggest baby was 7lb1oz. I just have a short torso so there is nowhere to grow but out!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:53 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I had GD and my daughter was full term weighing in at 6lbs 13oz. I was measuring big up until about the 35th week but they said it was mainly due to her long legs. I think that those with GD have larger babies when it is uncontrolled. Being that you are already at 37 weeks, I don't think it will matter much in the diet area. You will still want to make sure you check your sugar and do the diet because if your sugar level goes too high or too low for a day or two and you are trying to control it with no success then it can cause harm to the baby. It's just like with high blood pressure, they would need to induce right away. By this point in your pregnancy if you are going to have a big baby then that is the way it will be. The diet will not stop that now.
    Anonymous

• I've had two sugar babies, 7lbs 15 oz, 8lbs 5 oz, not big at all. I had to take insulin with one of them and the other one was just dieting, they were both super fine, their blood sugar levels were perfect. you're lucky you only have to check your bsl for a couple of weeks, having to do it since the first month is a royal PITA
    suej27

Answer by suej27 at 3:06 AM on Dec. 27, 2009