My 8 month old got fired from his sitter..

How ridiculous right? She said she loves him but he is to high maintenance and spoild he is 8 months what do you want me to do put him in time out? Ha! At least she was honset and just isn't keeping him for the $ and treating him bad I told her thank you for that many times. My feelings are hurt though can my 8.5 month old really be that much work? He is a hand full but I dont think he is a brat. hmmm... thoughts?!

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 2:36 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Around 8mos. is a prime time for separation anxiety! I know around that age my kids could barely be put down and would cry when I left the room, etc. but that doesn't mean they were spoiled brats, they were just babies going through a normal developmental stage! If your sitter can no longer keep him I would look for someone to watch him who can give him more 1-on-1 time and attention.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Anyone that thinks a 8-month old is spoiled should not babysit.
    You should be happy that she is on longer with your child. Her job is to play, feed, comfort, change his diaper and also teach. Find someone that loves kids.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:43 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Some babies are more difficult than others. My SIL was a nanny and fired a baby for being too high maintenance. I've also heard of babies being kicked out of daycare for needing to be held all the time or else they scream. Does your son cry a lot unless he's being held all the time? Some people can't handle that. It doesn't make them a bad sitter just honest.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:46 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• How about explaining what she means by high maintenance. How is your child on a daily basis? Some babies and children are high maintenance and require too much attention. She isnt the mother, she isnt supposed to care for the kid like that. she is only there to watch him and make sure he is safe. What does your son do? Cry for no reason? Wants to be held 24/7? that to me sounds like a high maintenance child and im glad my kids where never like that.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is just over two, and she would be considered high maintenance, she can be difficult to watch at times. I wouldn't think an 8 month old would be that hard to handle though.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 2:55 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• He might not be for YOU, but that doesn't mean it's not like that for someone else. And if that's the case it's much harder to deal with when it's not YOUR child. I babysat a baby for a while that really got under my skin. She never really seemed happy with me and anytime I'd try to console her when she was mad, she'd just get worse. It was waaaay harder to get past it and be even more patient than I'm used to being because it wasn't my child. At least she let you know it was too much.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 2:57 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• He wants attention like every 8 month old. If he isn't feeling good he will want to be held all the time. Right now his two front teeth are coming in so he is more fussy than normal. I said I think he is a hand full but I know how to deal with it and to anon I'm glad your kids were not difficult either you probally couldn't handle it and that would be sad for your children. My son is mostley happy and at the age where he just wants me so to bad so sad. I'm staright up with thte sitters and I need someone who can handle a baby and not whine about it. His grandparents say he is great with them and they watch him 2 days every week. The sitter also watches 8 more kids 4 and up and it's jsut her I don't really think it was my son I think she has way to many kids and if she thought he would sit there and entertain himself she way way off.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 3:06 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• some people aren't cut out to be babysitters either. your kid could be a handful but maybe not? it's all up to the individual how much they can handle.

you should not take her leaving an insult to your child. don't take it personally. i know easier said than done. she definitely is not the right caregiver for your child...you are!!!

good luck finding a new babysitter.
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I believe 8 kids at once without another adult is actually some sort of safety violation and she could get in trouble with the state. Isn't there supposed to be an adult per every 5 children over 1 or something like that - and a 1 adult to 3 babies ratio for children under a year? It may be even stricter than that, I can't remember.

This sounds like a bad situation and I'm glad your sitter fired your baby. You need a sitter who has only one or two other children - so they can put their full attention on your baby and not think they can just set the baby down in a playpen and turn on the TV..
    Anonymous

• Some babies ARE high-maintenance and spoiled (older babies CAN be spoiled, by the way).
    Anonymous