I need help with CIO method for my almost 1 yr old who's not sleeping at night.

I breastfeed my 10 month old baby still and I have yet to see her sleep through the night. I know she does not need to eat every 2-3 hrs at night, she doesn't even do that during the day, and the doctor said she does need to either. Has anyone tried the CIO method when the baby wakes up at different times in the night? How do you do it? My bb wakes up at 2:30 p.m. then 4:30, 5:30 a.m. then 7:00 a.m. Since she's so sleepy when she does go to sleep it's for like 3 hours straight. I'm at my wits end. I can use some tips or suggestions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would jus tlet my son cry, for 30 min. and after that go get him, cuddle for a min. and put him back. enver did i let him cry for more than 30 minutes though.
    Anonymous

• These are just generalized sleep tips:
    Electric light is jarring even to grown-ups, and the younger a child is, the more sensitive she is to all sense impressions. Out of respect for their brain development, we didn't use electric light around our newborns until they were about 3 months old (we also didn't blast their nerves with flash cameras, we used natural light for our photographs). When they were older, I stuck to using candlelight in their bedrooms.

Also, nature experiences are a great aid to falling asleep and to staying asleep.An outdoor walk - where she is actually WALKING on her feet or in your arms, not riding on wheels.Sunshine, the breeze on her skin, birdsong, rustling of leaves, touching flowers on a bush, examining a pretty rock on the ground or a fern alongside the path, plashing the baby hands in a running brook - or even a fountain ... watching and hearing a fountain is a wonderful nature experience.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:18 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Oh, also be careful that you aren't having any caffeine - which would keep her up ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:19 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Where did you get the idea that a ten month old baby should be sleeping through the night. Your baby still has a very small tummy; just be patient.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• She might not be ready to sleep through the night. If she is going more than 3 hours beteewn feedings during the day, she might be making up for it at night. Not ALL babies sleep through the night by the time they are 1y/o. My neighbor has a 17m/o (that was FF) that still gets up at least once during the night. It won't be like this forever. Soon enough she'll be off and running (and sleeping :))
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 4:38 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Are you breast feeding only? If your baby isn't on any solid foods that is your problem. If you feed her rice cereal before bed she'll sleep much better. Some people think you can only give breast milk the first year but that is not true. Also it is winter and the times you mention are usually the coldest of the night. Are you sure she isn't waking up cold rather than hungry? When I'm freezing a warm drink warms me up and makes me feel better. Babies are the same way.
    Anonymous

• I stuck to using candlelight in their bedrooms

OMG Please DO NOT leave burning candles in your childrens room while they sleep. This is the most ignorant advice I have heard on this site yet!!! What happens when your babies room catches on fire and you can't get in to save her? Stuff like this happens every day. If you leave a burning candle in a babies room you are asking for trouble!
    Anonymous

• Rice cereal (and solids, for that matter) have little to no effect on sleep.

10 month olds, believe it or not, do still wake quite frequently. It's a good thing. It makes sure she gets enough milk when she's too busy to eat during the day! :) STTN is a developmental thing. They do it when *they* are ready.

Your problem is that you are paying attention to how much she's waking. Are you co-sleeping currently? That's your first step. Next, move the clock out of your view and don't even try to time her or pay attention to when she wakes up. Soon, you will barely wake in the middle of the night and wake up feeling like you got a full night of sleep (because you did!). My 9 month old wakes several times a night and I sleep great!

Make things easy on yourself and she will outgrow it. Have you read any about the negative effects of CIO? Google "CIO harvard study".
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:14 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• here is a article I love on baby/toddler sleep issues http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/91515/Baby_Toddler_Sleep_issues
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• She didn't say to leave a candle burning in their rooms when you aren't in there. I'm pretty sure she meant she didn't go in and turn on electrical lights when they woke up, she lit a candle instead.

I used a rock salt lamp for my twins - it's a lovely soft light and I can still see what I'm doing.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:36 PM on Dec. 24, 2009