My Daughters Development

My daughter started walking at 10 months and she says tons of words and sentences and shes 14 months now, my mom says that she should already know the concept of the potty chair, and that she should already now manners and be talking more clearer, i myself think that she is smart and that she is learning the things she needs to learn at a very good pace, i just want to know if i am right or wrong and if i am wrong what do you guys suggest i do to help her understand things clearer and what not?

mommy_luvs_kira

Asked by mommy_luvs_kira at 4:54 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell your mom to stuff a sock in it. Kids that young are not going to talk perfectly clear. My daughter is smart as a whip, she just turned three and there are times where I have no idea what she's saying. And she has no interest in potty training yet because she's so busy with other things. And while they can get the basics for manners (please, thank you, you're welcome) at that age, they won't know how to use it properly all the time, and most of the time you'll have to remind them what to say.

In other words, your daughter is fine and your mother is being far too nosy and pushy. Tell her that your daughter is barely over a year old, she's not a preschooler and cannot be expected to act as such.
    Anonymous

• Wow..I'd tell my mother to talk a flying leap if I were you. I have 17 month old twins and they are just starting to really say words now (mind you they were premies so their development is a bit behind the "norm" but I don't subscribe to belief in that crap so...anyways). Children develop how and when they are ready. Don't worry..she's FINE. It's your mom I'd be worried about...lol....
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 5:22 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I agree with you more. I would take it more as critism of my parenting then saying that your daughter has developmental issues. If you wanted to teach her manner's you would, if you wanted to push the potty chair you would do that too. It doesn't sound to me like you've tried to teach her and she just won't learn. Your the mom, if there was a problem you'd know it.
    I taught my kids manner's just by using them. Even as babies when they gave me something I would say thank you. I think it's more of a trained response then real manners though. None of my kids used or liked the potty chair. I waited until 18 months to start potty training and they used the little seat that fits over the toilet seat. At 14 months my kids didn't know much about a potty chair either because I didn't teach them.
    Follow your gut momma!
    Anonymous

• I'd just ignore what she says. Its ridiculous to think your daughter is behind at 14 months. She's fine. No 14 month old is going to talk clear, or understand the potty. If I was you I just wouldn't worry about it.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 5:43 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• It sounds like your DD is doing great, my ped said that children should be able to speak clearly enough for others to understand them by 2.5 years, your mom has unrealistic expectations! 14 mos is a little young for the potty chair, IMO.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I agree with everyone else. Your DD sounds like she is just where she should be if not farther than she should be. Everything I read says that the "average" child does not potty train until 2 1/2. My son will be 2 Sunday and is still working on potty training and has a long road to go. All kids are different. I asked a guy I work with about potty training because he has 2 boys and he said the first was potty trained by 18 months and the second shortly after he was 3. I wouldn't worry about it, you're doing great.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:33 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• gailll- my son is 16 mo and says i love you, how are you, and many 2 word sentences. he has a very big vocab. my son will go up to someone shake their hand and say, 'hi, how are you?'. it is very possible. my son also does say please and thank you. he also signs about 10 words.
    every child develops at diff stages. i don't push anything on my son and will not be trying to potty train him anytime soon. tell your mom that she is developing on her pace. and when you feel that she is ready for potty training, then you will try then. from what i've 'heard', if you push potty training, they're more likely to wet the bed
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• well for one, my daughter does say alot of two and three word sentences, she says whats that she says i love you, she says thank you and tons of other words, and two, thank all of you, you all gave me great answers, why do people have to be mean on here, i thought this place was for people who are trying to help and appreciate each other?? thanks again everyone.
    mommy_luvs_kira

Answer by mommy_luvs_kira at 12:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My Daughter is 20 months old she was also a early walker crawler and talker. She is now using sentences and putting them together very clearly. Your mother is being a little pushy. And the manners thing my daughter knows how to use thank you your welcome those things but she is often to shy to use them. Potty training if there not interested they say not to push them at around 12 months we got my daughter her first potty and she used it for about a month on and off she was successful for a while then she lost interest . So i did not push her. She is now using it again on and off and i just don't push her to do it .

BellazBabyMomma

Answer by BellazBabyMomma at 2:44 AM on Dec. 28, 2009