Any Other Workin' Mamas Slackin' on Toddler's Dinner?

Alright, my son is almost 21 months and for the past few nights I've been working open to close (I work at a restaurant; 11-10ish). This was my first day leaving at a reasonable hour and of course, its Christmas Eve, I had a TON of things to do...so for dinner I gave my son lunch meat and cheese...Well, I was on the phone with my grandmother, telling her our plans for tomorrow (a phone call to her was actually one of the things I had on my to-do list, because she talks FOREVER) and I mentioned what D was eating for dinner. She FREAKED and said it wasn't healthy and asked how often I did it-I said once or twice a week, depending on work. What do you guys think? Am I the only working mom that slacks off dinner-wise?

metalhealthmama

Asked by metalhealthmama at 6:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a pretty high-sodium choice -- it would be better if it came with half an apple, sliced, and a small pile of frozen corn (never met a 2yo who didn't think frozen corn was as good as ice cream!)

Rarely, this kind of easy-prep meal is fine. But often and everyone in the house ends up with a preference for high fat, high salt, low fibre and low nutrition diet.

I think it's just a lack of creativity, knowledge and flexibilty that's in your way: you haven't stocked easy-prep quick dinner foods because you don't know any, right?

So, you need some easy-prep foods that you can drop in front of your son that are still food.... yeah?

A microwaved whole potato (stab it with a fork a few times to stop it bursting) can be topped with a bit of grated cheese and even some frozen veg (the stir-fry kind with a mixture of veg in small pieces goes well) that's been zapped for under a minute.

LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:43 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• well tonight i made son corndogs :)
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 6:39 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• If you feel diligent, you can stir the veg into the potato when it's cooked, and top it with the cheese, wait a few minutes until it's a little cooler and the cheese has melted. Net time: 5 minutes.

Pre-cut carrots, celery, peppers, even cauliflower and parsnip pieces and a short-ingredient-list salad dressing makes a good meal for the short ones. They don't really care much if there is protein at every meal, and love to dip things. Avoid mass-market dressings to avoid a lot of added salt and sugar, particularly sugar.

I used to make 'ice cube tray lunch' because I had a bunch of them: just a blob or small amount of thing in each compartment --some cheese, a blob of peanut butter to dip, a few precut veg, a cracker or two, some raisins, a few toast triangles, a bit of jam, a few cooked beans (kids like chickpeas/garbonzos), some frozen corn or peas or blueberries, a few apple slices, etc. Faster than you'd think to make.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:47 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• OP-The thing that strikes me as what happens often is a lack of planning or even ideas about planning. (Me, too.) Lunch meat and cheese equals a meal. Kept him from "starving" that day, LOL! We all get busy. Most of us would like to do the above meal, just haven't thought of it or bought any of those items. But it sounds great. With the holiday season, despite myself staying at home, we've had some Chef-Boyardee out of a can, rather than something that I'd like to have made instead. Sometimes, you just have to do what you have to do.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:17 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• You are doing just fine! The key to life is balance and being active. My kids at times ate what you describe and "worse"- but they are super active, get plenty of sunshine, fresh air and movement- that is far more important than most anything. A neighbor is a health food freak but her kids are pale and lack any muscle or coordination- my kids are far healthier!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• My 18 month old had a banana and some goldfish crackers for dinner tonight...lol...she was quite happy with it. Sometimes crap happens, and you do the best you can. Tonight I had to do some last minute shopping, and my ride showed up minutes after my daughter woke up from her afternoon nap. So I had to rush out of the house with her, hoping to grab a pb&j at Walmart. Well of course they didn't have any, so I had to improvise. I don't do this every night, so I'm not going to spend time beating myself up over it. She got nourished...that's all that matters!
    Anonymous

• Do what you gotta do to get by momma! If he's happy and it's not an every night thing, don't sweat it! I work 12 hour shifts and my DH is useless when it comes to doing much at all so it falls to me to either have food on hand that is ready or bring something home after work for my 17 month olds to eat. On my days off they eat healthy...so a few nights here and there of not so healthy is fine - it all evens out in the end.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 12:56 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Keep frozen vegetables around. Some broccoli warmed up in the microwave, with a little cheese or peanut sauce, makes a meal much more nutritious.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:26 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• im not crazy about these but its better nothing, how about some of those frozen kid cuisines or the microwaveble chef boyardee thingees. stuff happens, those are quick and easy for those long busy nights. I like to throw some beef stew and veggies in a crock pot, by the time i get home its ready and waiting for me.
    Anonymous

• I agree...do what you got to do...we are all not going to have the time to make a lavish dinner and I can tell you from experience that when we were both working ---if I was just exhausted, i made sure he ate at least some mac and cheese, maybe a hotdog with it and had crackers and milk---I know its not the ideal dinner, but he was getting fed and thats all that counts. Dont feel bad...it happens.
    chaoshappens

Answer by chaoshappens at 11:00 PM on Dec. 25, 2009