I'm afraid to give her a bath...

Any "safe bath" tips for a baby? She's 4 days old... I'm afraid if I put her in the tub and bathe her I might break her!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wash her in the sink and have someone there for an extra pair of hands. you literally dont have to BATHE her, just make sure the heater is up and you use warm water and give her a lil birdy bath that is only minutes long. Was her butt and front, and a quick wipe everywhere else and you're good to go! ;) relax mama!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• at this age you can just give her a sponge bath! unless she is really filthy...do you have a portable baby bath? some come with angled mats to lay the baby in! If you want to give her a bath in the tub, just hold her the entire time and you dont have to fill the tub, just run the water and rinse her and make sur the temp isnt hot. no need for soap unless she is very filthy.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:43 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Make sure you don't get her umbilical cord wet. You can just sponge bath her but you shouldn't actually submerge her in water until the cord falls off. Just use a warm wet washcloth and sponge bath her, and try to keep her as covered as possible. She likely doesn't need anymore than just a wipe down anyway. Keep her wrapped up while you wash her hair, you can just use the sink for this and run the warm water over her hair to wet and rinse it, then dry her hair/head and then just wipe down the rest of her. Keep her cord as dry as possible and pat dry the area after the bath. Don't worry, you won't break her. ;-)
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 6:58 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• At that age I find it easier to take a bath w/ the baby
    Anonymous

• She doesn't need a bath. She's not dirty.

Wash the bits that need washing, as they need washing, and leave the rest of her delicate skin alone. Unless you're rolling her in dirt or something, she's sparkly clean already.

In general, with babies under 6 weeks --if you decide to bathe her at all-- it's easier not to invoke the reflexes that upset them: do not lie them back into water --they hate it, it disturbs their startle reflex and it's unnecessary. Lay her, instead, across your arm, holding her opposite upper arm in your hand to support her, and bath gently with water AS HOT as you would use yourself. If it doesn't scald you, it won't scald her. Have you ever had a tepid bath at cool room temperature?

There is no reason at all to use soap of any kind, and lots of reasons not to. It's much too harsh, and she doesn't need the chemicals absorbing through her skin. No, not even the 'baby' soaps. Just water will do.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:30 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Your not going to break her :) I promise. She really isnt that dirty like the other have said. Just a quick wipe with a washcloth and warm water should do the trick mama. Congrats on your new baby girl! What did you name her, how big was she?
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:59 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• We were the same way. Run warm water in the tub, lay a nice, fluffy towel on the bottom of the tub. Use a cup to gently pour warm water on your baby. Use a bit of olive oil or coconut oil to remove any "crusties". Wrap her in a warm towel or blanket.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:24 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• You are only supposed to give her a sponge bath, or washcloth bath, until her umbi cord falls off. At this age, she is too young to give a real bath to.

My daughters umbi cord area was always uncovered, and I was constantly rubbing it with alcohol so it could dry out. I made it a practice to do so at every diaper change.

Soon you can give your little one a real bath, but I do not suggest now. =)
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 2:33 AM on Dec. 26, 2009