What happens if someone doesn't send a kid to school without even homeschooling the kid? The kid is 7.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well if and when the government finds out, the parent will get in trouble.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:52 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• The parent can be charged with neglect and get into a heap of trouble.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:02 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• depends on the state. In MN kids are not required to do school by law till age 7. As for other states I don't know. As for the student they will catch up very fast because they are older and more dev ready to catch onto things. Have you ever read "Better Late Than Early"? Great book that will calm your nerves
    Anonymous

• Depends a lot on the jurisdiction.

My kids never did anything that would appear to anyone else to be 'school' (apart from playing School with friends, a pastime that they used up years on), and where I live that's completely acceptable to the education authorities. Here, I have no idea how, it was determined that the education system is accountable to parents so it does not follow that parents who opt out of the system are accountable to anyone.

Today my kids are both employed, one is in college and the other has graduated college, both have a huge range of friends from various walks of life and age groups, and one supports herself entirely. They often remark on the tremendous ignorance of the average schooled graduate, including many students they studied with in college.

The curriculum is designed to manage mass numbers of people all kept inside buildings for most of the day. It's severely limited by that.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:23 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Yep, depending on the laws there. Some don't require school before age 7. The student will probably struggle.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:38 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Call the county school board and just ask them. Laws are different for each state.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:15 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I don't think you've given enough information about the situation for me to give you much of an answer. I'd have to know what you mean by "homeschooling" as well as what the parent's educational and parental philosophies are. It may be that their idea of homeschooling and yours are very different. You may be expecting to see them sit down with workbooks and texbooks every day, while they may not believe that school work is the best way to learn and may help him learn in other ways. Just because the child doesn't do tradtional school work doesn't automatically mean he isn't learning anything. If they are attentive parents who just have a different idea of what the best way to learn is, then they aren't doing anything wrong and are within their rights to educate their child as they see fit, even if it doesn't look like "school" as other people know it. If they are neglectful and/or abusive, that's another story.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 4:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I would actully like a answer to this to my mother took me out of school wene i was in second grade although i am verry smart (thanx to my deturminess and good reading abilitys i was 5th grade in reading and i practicaly taught myself) but my mother didn't lift a finger to help me whatsoever and nobody turned her i eather....so i cannot help you with the question
    Anonymous