shrimp

I am 8 weeks and shrimp is my favorite! I just wanted to know if it was safe to eat!
Thanks

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 8:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes, shrimp is fine as long as it's cooked.

Answer by missanc at 8:08 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• ohhh I wished I knew that..lol I didn't have any today and I wanted some SOOO BAD!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:10 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Dr Lisa Masterson on The Doctors (tv program) says NO SHELLFISH for pregnant women.
    Anonymous

• p.s. Dr Masterson is an OB/GYN
    Anonymous

• i was told that shellfish was just fine as long as it is cooked properly. never read anything that said otherwise either. might be careful if shellfish allergies run in your family though.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:30 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Yes. Shrimp is okay to eat, but in moderation. It still has murcury in it, but it is a low amount. Therefore, it is safe to have, but not more then two-three times a week. That is what I was told by my OB. You can look up online to find out which fish are safe to eat during pregnancy. Your OB might even have paperwork on it as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:39 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I agree with JAZZLIKEMRAZ.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:33 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Seafood Do's and Don'ts for Expecting and Nursing Moms:

1. DON'T eat shark, swordfish, king mackerel or tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.

2. DO eat up to 12 ounces (2 to 3 meals) of other purchased fish and shellfish a week. Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.

3. DO mix up the types of fish and shellfish you eat.

4. DON'T eat the same type of fish or shellfish more than once a week.

5. DO check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local rivers and streams. If no advice is available, you can safely eat up to 6 ounces (one meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.

Read more: http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/psafe/0,,qpx7,00.html#ixzz0agQb7lEq
    Sign up for iVillage Pregnancy and Parenting Newsle
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:29 AM on Dec. 25, 2009