My daughter has been a total brat all day and it makes me want to throw Christmas out the window for her.

All day mouthing off, whining, crying, sassing, arguing, hitting. My MIL gives my 4yo a gift and she tells her she doesn't like it. Then tells her her presents are booring. I wanted to climb under a rock. It's not her normal behavior. I kept apologizing for her rudeness. I really don't know what's going on. She just had another meltdown and we put her straight to bed screaming and crying. I feel like presents in the morning are rewarding her bad behavior, but it's Christmas. I don't know what to think.

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Holidays

• oh please, anon..everyone gets excitable from time to time..even adults. why not control your fingers when you type something? OP, you said its not her normal behavior, right? either she's excited because she knows xmas is here, or something else is going on. perhaps things have been a little hasty or stressful in the last few days, and she's feeling it,too? kids aren't immune to our actions or attitudes. give her a talk, give her some space, and let xmas happen. she'll likely wake up tomorrow, refreshed and ready for fun.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:33 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Well, her behavior is just a preview of tomorrow. I say just postpone it until her behavior improves or until you see fit, say like her birthday.  Or you just give 1 present and put away all others. 

Anonymous

• She is excited about the holiday. We have to give them lots of leeway this time of year. She may be frantic tomorrow, too. But she'll settle down after the holidays.

Answer by Bmat at 8:22 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Mouthing off is no excuse for bad behavior and it's high time she control her mouth.
    Anonymous

• You say this behaviour isn't normal, which means she's normally a good kid right? If that is the case please don't let one day of bad behaviour ruin her Christmas.

You should tell her tomorrow that she is very lucky her behaviour from today didn't affect her Christmas because she came very close to getting nothing after acting so rude and awful all day.

Give her a break though..she's just a kid :) Try to relax once she's in bed and just chill out....good luck!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Uh, where did I ever say mouthing off was an excuse for bad behavior? I'm pretty sure I pointed out this is not normal behavior for her. She's usually polite, and happy. I just don't get it. I'm really frustrated. She doesn't normally have a bunch of meltdowns in a day. I think bmat may be right.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• oh hey, steff...lol...i didn't even look at the sn..LMAO! jack's been a little crazy today, too. :))
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:35 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Thank you so much you guys for your helpful and thoughtful answers. I really feel better now. She came out and gave me a hug and said she was sorry all by herself!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I would have told her that Christmas presents is for good kids. You are not being good. So you do not get your presents. Or I would have said when she started act up. If you do not be nice you will not be having Christmas presents.

Answer by louise2 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I feel for you, my 2 almost 3 year old has been having a tough time listening today too. I know that part of it is because of the new baby and he is just vying for attention, and that he is excited. He too normally is a good boy but has been really rowdy today. I agree with previous posters, since this isn't a norm for her maybe let it slide. You could also postpone the opening of presents and see if she will help you with the making of breakfast, giving her time to settle down before everyone opens gifts.
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 24, 2009