How do I tell my 7 year old to stop doing something annoying without hurting her feelings.

My 7 year old SD has started this weird laugh that she does on purpose because BM thinks it's funny & cute. Once in a while it is and that's all BM has to deal with it as she only sees her every other weekend. It is starting to get really annoying and I also don't want her to get picked on at school for it. How can I tell her without hurting her feelings?

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 8:28 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just ignore her when she does so. The more attention you bring to it, the more she will so it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:47 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Tell her "I know BM thinks that is funny but we don't..it makes you sound like an annoying kid, and we know you aren't annoying so why would you want to sound that way?" or something.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:52 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Personally, I would just tell her to stop.

Answer by louise2 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• just tell her to knock it off.
    USAF.Wife

Answer by USAF.Wife at 10:22 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• You'd be surprised how hard it is to hurt her feelings. Mine is seven, and I say "Please stop. That's annoying" She usually listens, and i'm being polite. She shows no symptoms of traumatization.
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 10:41 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I agree with a PP. If you ignore it she'll eventually let it go. If you feed into it she'll continue to do it. She's doing it for the reaction that she's getting from it. You could also just sit her down and ask her why she laughs that way. Then simply tell her that it bothers you and you would prefer her to not do it." .. That's if ignoring doesn't work.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:29 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I say ignore it. Looking back I remember doing that as a kid at about that same age. With no response I quit. It might be different coming from her mom or dad but she might take it more personal coming from you just depending on the relationship that ya'll share. It really wouldn't be the end of the world if a classmate told her it wasn't funny or maybe her classmates DO think it's funny, who knows in the world of a 7 year old? An annoying laugh really isn't that big of a deal, is it? It won't last forever.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:36 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Let her father deal with it. You don't want to be the bad guy with a step child.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:18 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Either ignore her or tell her to stop because it's annoying, not funny.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 10:06 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

•  

"Just because BM like that laugh doesn't mean we do. A joke is only funny the first few times, and not it's not funny so give it a rest. If BM still thinks it's funny the next time you visit her you can do it over there to make her laugh. In the mean time why don't you find something Dad and I think is funny and try that."

Let her know what's funny to some people isn't funny to others, and if she likes making people laugh she should find Different things for Different people. Maybe go to the book store and find her a joke book.

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 3:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2009