My dad has high blood pressure and he wont go to the hospital...

My dads blood pressure is 188/112. He just called and told me. He lives in NC I live in KS, so I cant go over to his house and talk to him. I think he should go to the hospital to make sure he is okay. I am scared something bad might happen. How bad is his reading?

He is going to the doctor Monday, I just dont want that to be late.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Health

• Is reading is high, but it is not, like, stroke high. Anyone can have one high reading at any time, too. High blood pressure is only diagnosed when your reading is high consistantly. What is he taking his pressure with? If he weighs more than I think 180 pounds, he should be using a large cuff instead of the standard size ones. And the readings at grocery stores are usually off, sometimes by a lot. You can also have a high reading if you're nervous, or were just exercising, or sometimes if you are just in a new place.

In order to get a good reading he needs to use the right size cuff, sit in the same position for 30 minutes without eating or drinking, and take it with his arm at the same level as his heart.

I think Monday will be plenty of time. If he does have hypertension it's not serious, and can probably be controlled with diet.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• How does he know how high his blood pressure is unless a medical staff person took it?

I think the level of your worry can depend on some things: History of heart attack/stroke/heart disease in family, age, diet, stress level, excercise.....

All things considered, there is really not much you can do from that far away. Simply urge him by scaring him with statistics, websites, facts about his blood pressure,etc.

Some people don't listen so they gotta feel......Men are so stubborn and STUPID! Make him watch Dr. Oz...they talk about how stupid men are with their health. They don't use "stupid" to describe them...they say things like, "COmmon health issues that are often ignored by men." The typical answers from most men has to do with it not being manly to complain, embarrassing,
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Ask him if he just wants to have a stroke and have REAL bad problems if that happens. Have him call the ER (or you) and ask how high it can get before he needs to call an ambulance to come get him?

Answer by admckenzie at 6:13 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• He can wait until Monday. His blood pressure is high but it isn't off the charts. My roommate has high blood pressure and we have been working on bringing it down to normal levels with diet and exercise - and it's working.
    I will also add that I am a dental hygienist and have to know quite a bit about blood pressure. On patients that have a history of hypertension, we have to take their BP before we can do any procedures on them. I have seen patients with higher readings - we reschedule their appointments.
    Many things can affect BP and a person can one reading in the morning and a completely different reading in the afternoon.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 12:09 AM on Dec. 26, 2009