Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it wrong of me to not want DH to become a Naturalized Citizen?

He is a citizen of Mexico but came over when he was 3 and had papers. He speaks better english than I do sometimes, has never commited a crime (so it would be guaranteed that he'd get it again)and his dad became a citizen in 2000, so he can be naturalized under his dad since he was a minor then. But I don't want him to. His reasoning is so that we dont have to re-do the legal residency papers (about $5,000) every 10-15 years. I DONT want him to in case we ever need to go to Mexico for ANY reason, and he would have to denounce Mexico, and he has already give up SO MUCH for me and our daughter, that would be the last straw.
Is that wrong of me?

*for all you bashers, we have never gone under ANY Govt. Assistance, my MOM did, so thats why I know so much about them and a friend is a social worker* Its also why I don't feel too bad about not having him be a citizen.


Asked by shortycmlb at 9:10 PM on Dec. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 15 (1,987 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (25)
  • I would not press him in either direction. If he really wants to do it, let him decide for himself. In the meantime, call an immigration lawyer and see if he can somehow obtain dual citizenship. A friend of SIL's did "renounce" his home country in order to obtain US citizenship and was then able to obtain dual citizenship a day after the ceremony. I don't know how it would apply to your case, but that's what a lawyer is for.

    Answer by balagan_imma at 11:09 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

  • You and him can get passports then you can go to Mexico anytime you would like as well.He should become a citizen, what happens if he dies, if he is a citizen and paying taxes then his child would recieve benifits, if he is not a citizen the child is just SOL

    Answer by ronjwake at 9:15 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

  • Okay becoming a naturalized citizen is a VERY good thing. It means you wont have to hassle with immigration EVER again. If you are a citizen of U.S you can go ANYWHERE in the world as long as you have a passport , just like ronjwake said and a visa(depends on the country).

    Answer by 2princesnaKing at 9:21 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

  • I know that, but then we wouldnt be able to inherit his grandfathers land and he has given up alot for us, and hes proud of being from mexico and he does love the usa, but hes doing it because hes convinced i want him to and his family is pressuring us to.

    Answer by shortycmlb at 9:25 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

  • Yeah. I think it's wrong and kind of selfish of you to not want him to have what he's obviously worked hard for all his life. A passport is alot cheaper to get than residency every 5-10 years and they last longer as well.

    Answer by Imogine at 9:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

  • Can't he get dual citizenship anyway?

    Answer by Imogine at 9:32 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

  • Maybe I'm just not knowledgeable, but why wouldn't he be able to inherit his grandfather's land just bc he becomes a US citizen? I think if he wants to do it, he should. As others have mentioned, if he were to die, as a non citizen, there would be no ss benefits for his child to receive. I would be more concerned with that than grandpa's land. Besides, he can still be proud of being from Mexico, even if he is a US citizen. My boyfriend's mom immigrated from Germany before my boyfriend was born, and she is a US citizen, but is still very proud of being from Germany.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 9:35 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

  • He cant, and he didnt WANT to when we first met and i pushed it, but we kind of switched roles, now i DONT and he DOES. Kind of ironic i know, but i think the only reason he does is because i used to push it alot.....and i dont want him to give up his pride...

    Answer by shortycmlb at 9:35 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

  • My mother is from germany, so thats kind of cool lol. But Mexico law states that Citienz of mexico that have denounced their country can buy land with a HUGE fee and cannot inherit land from any family members, stupid, but true. I think the fee is like, 100,000 pesos, (10k) per 500,00 pesos of land sold(50K)

    Answer by shortycmlb at 9:37 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

  • The child should have dual citizenship. Does the child not have this? This would solve the land issue.

    Answer by ronjwake at 9:40 PM on Dec. 24, 2009