dentist....1st visit.

When should I start taking my son to the dentist? He has over 8 teeth and they keep on comin...

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 12:24 AM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was also told at 18 months---or if he has a lot of teeth, then sooner...all they did at my sons first visit (a month ago) was check to see how many he had, that they were coming in ok, make sure he didnt already have any cavities and put a type of floride on them to keep them hard. I got him one of those infant brushes to get him used to his teeth being brushed.
    chaoshappens

Answer by chaoshappens at 10:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I was always told 4yr old unless there is a concern of a problem..you can call local dentists and ask their opinions. I didn't take mine until he was 3yr old. I wanted to take him sooner just because of the same way you are feeling (i'm assuming). He had teeth and I wanted to make sure they were taken care of. But I couldn't find a dentist that would see him because of the above reasons. All that I called wanted him to be four. I will say that when you do take him, make a huge deal about how awesome the dentist is and how only big boys get to go. Get him really excited over it that way he will enjoy it and not be scared.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• lol yeah, that is how Im feeling..I dont want to be walking around thinking hes fine with not going and I missed the start date, ya know? I assumed teeth = dentist...
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 12:32 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I take my kids at age 2. I know pediatrican always ask me if I have taken my 20mos old and I am like no the dentist won't see her till minimum of 2 years and even at 2 they say it depends on the child they prefer 3-4. My kids have always been cooperatove so at 2 they were able to do x-rays, cleaning and the exam on my 5 and 6 yr old at 2. I will take my 20mos old at about 2 as well and see how it goes.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:32 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I took my oldest when she was 5 and my youngest just went at 16 months because all the dentist I talked to said to take her at 12 months. That being said all they did was clean her teeth and look (not x-ray) to see if they seen any problems. It was really ridiculous. As long as you brush your child's teeth every night and they don't seem to be having any problems then I would wait until they are at least 2 or 3.

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 3:12 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Our dentist told us to start regular appointments at 18 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:54 AM on Dec. 25, 2009