pumping breastmilk

I am trying to increase my supply so I can exclusively breastfeed. Does pumping even when you don't get anything help? Also I have heard of people mentioning something called fenugreek to help. Where can I get that? Do pharmacies have it or do I have to go somewhere special? Any other tips?

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 1:05 AM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You buy fenugreek from the herb section of your store. Pumping even for 5 minutes after each feeding even if you don't get anything will DEFINITELY help.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 1:51 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Any stimulation will increase milk supply...but baby does a better job than a pump! Whats the story? When/why did you start supplementing and how much are you supplementing now?

Also, stimulation on an empty/mostly empty (the breast is never *really* empty) actually increases supply faster than stimulation on a full breast... so pumping nothing is most definitely helpful.

Need more details though, to offer better advice. Go to breastfeeding mom and post there. You will get tons of great advice! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:42 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Here is what worked for me:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:39 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• yup to pp's answers. Fenugreek seed can be gotten where they sell vitamins, like the vitamin shoppe or GNC, works great, yes pump after feeding, it'll take a bit before you notice a difference, for me about 3 days, this works the opposite too.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:20 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Yes pumping will help a bit. And Fenugreek, you can buy pretty much at any store where herbal supplements are sold. I'd like to know why you think your supply is low, though, because many times women just THINK it is, and go through a lot to boost it, and it doesn't need it. I wouldn't want to put you through extra work if it's not needed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 25, 2009