Using medicaid to pay for birth...

So I keep seeing other moms say how if you need medicaid to pay for the birth that you cannot afford said child or that you should not be TTC. So here is some information for you, I did and will use medicaid, I am a college student and my husband works at a small company where they cannot afford to pay the 50,000 dollars a year to insure the employees. That would be 50,000 for crappy insurance that I would probably still need medicaid to supplement anyways. My DD still receives medicaid too. We afford he just fine and we have a nice house in the city. She goes to a good pre-k school and she will be going to a very good charter next year. People tell us how we are very good parents all the time. We are also trying to conceive and will use medicaid again for the birth. We do just fine, it is not our fault or the companies fault that the insurance companies are ripping everyone off.

PsychMommie

Asked by PsychMommie at 1:43 AM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I wish people would get over people using Medicaid. There are legitimate reasons to use it (like u OP) and if the government didn't offer it, the grumpy people who oppose it would still have to pay out the same in taxes and it would go toward something probably much much less needed. Medicaid is a very good thing that our country offers and if people don't like it I think they should move to a less fortunate country so they don't need to worry about their tax dollars going to anyone! JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Right, they would end up paying for it because women would go and have babies at the hospital and then not pay for it. Everyone would still be paying, or they would have the children at home and they then would be called bad parents for endangering their children.
    I just wish people would stop judging someone's situation when they do not know the details. Plus I wanted the people being bashed to see not everyone on here is a b*&^% LOL
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 1:58 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• It is not just about the money, it is a moral issue. To many people don't sem to undertand that.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:03 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• im preg right now and thats what im going thu my job dont had insurince and my hubby work wants us to pay almost 600 a month for his not going to happen and we also have a nice house and we have everything for the baby now and we have the money for food and clothes so there nothing wrong in my eyes about it
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Medicaid is a lifesaver for some children because there are people who will suffer with any kind of condition because they can't afford to pay for medical insurance and provide everything else a child needs. Just to have my son, I would have had to pay over 70,000.00 without insurance. I had to pay for a two day hospital stay for me, a five day hospital stay for my son, three ambulance rides (we both had to be transferred to another hospital), and all of the medications and tests that my son and I needed. Women can be intimidated by this number and they might not go to a hospital to give birth or even receive any prenatal care to avoid the bills. They may be unknowingly risking their children's lives. Medicaid allows them to receive all of the care that they need to give birth. Would you want a child to go without care for his or her entire life simply because his or her parent can't afford it? I don't think so.
    denisekeene

Answer by denisekeene at 12:56 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• All three of my boys are medicaid babies - and will probably remain on medicaid for a while. DF wanted to put them on his insurance, but it would've cost him 1/2 a month's income every month and then the copays... not bad with the two littlest as the only dr visits are well-child... but DS1 has a lot of issues and sees a lot of specialists and takes 2 meds daily (adderall and depakote).

Our job as parents is to make sure our children are well taken care of... if that means relying on some sort of "program" (medicaid) then so be it. It's much better than insisting they be on private insurance and then being homeless because the insurance and copays took our rent/bill/food money. Right?
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:27 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I was in the same boat. My insurance wasn't going to pay for any of my pre- or post-natal care, or anything for the baby in the hospital, nothing. But other than that we didn't have a problem affording kids. So, medicaid to pay for my prenatal care and the birth, then regular insurance with medicaid as secondary after they were born (we paid, out of our pockets, not through a job, for regular insurance, but kept the medicaid on them because we qualified and wanted some back-up for just in cases!).
    Anonymous

• Medicaid is awesome! You don't have to worry about those darn Co-pays or paying ANYTHING on it. Take advantage of it while you can. Save all that money you're Not spending on medical bills to get stuff for the baby! Nothing wrong with that!
    TBSNBubblegum

Answer by TBSNBubblegum at 6:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• The thing is that most people who are on medicaid have to pay taxes just like everyone else. There is nothing wrong with it. And how much you wanna bet that the majority of those parents didn't pay the full cost of their babies' birth?! I'm not sure how it is where you live, but here it is $7,750.22 for 1 natural birth, of 1 perfectly healthy child, with a hospital stay of 24-48 hours after the birth, and that doesn't include if you have an epidural. Imagine if something goes wrong and you have to have a c-section...for a c-section, with the medication and all is a total cost of $13, 246.12. And if by chance your child has to go to the NICU, you're looking at a good $1,021.37 per day for that child to use the equipment and have 24 hour nurse assistance if you have no insurance. Very few have the money for that...that's why insurance exists. I work for an insurance company btw.
    Anonymous