when do u take ur child 2 the dentist?

my daughter just turned 3 and my mother is telling me to take her to the dentist but i called a clinic and they said if the child will give a hard time letting the dentist open her mouth then they probably will wanna wait longer...she gives me a very hard time brushing her teeth so i wanna get them cleaned but im scared she wont let them

ShYmAmA08

Asked by ShYmAmA08 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, actually children should start seeing the dentist around their first birthday. Good Luck to you!
    momofana82

Answer by momofana82 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I was worried about the same thing. I've also heard that they should start going with you by the time they turn 1 year. My oldest daughter is 3 and we took her for the first time a couple months ago, but she didn't sit in the chair. The dentist said as long as she comes with me while I get a check-up she'll warm up to the idea. She was shy about coming back to watch me get my teeth clean but eventually walked back for a second.

I do know that before my daughter starts school she has to have a dental check-up, and by that age she should be old enough to at least sit in the chair and have a peak inside her mouth. Just talk about the dentist and what to expect, read books about it, and take her with you when you go.

As for brushing my daughter's teeth, I usually make it a game. I let her start out and then tell her I want a turn and try to make it silly and fun. She laughs and at least I can get in there even if it's not a great job.
    algolden05

Answer by algolden05 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Some dentist will take them at age 3 but we didn't know that til the summer before my son turned 4yrs old. He did great and has been twice since then no cavities nothing.
    krazeerosie

Answer by krazeerosie at 1:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My daughter went to her first dentist visit when she was 3. She did give them a little bit of a hard time because she was scared, but they told her that they wanted to count her teeth and they did a really quick job while pretending to count. She has gone twice a year since then and now she's 5 and totally good about all of it. She even had x-rays last time. My son just turned 3 and has his first appointment coming up, uuggghh, we'll see how that goes.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• At her age, 3, is perfect. Even if she has a hard time with you this is the time to get her used to her 6 month recall visits. I am a hygienist and when I have a patient that young I just take them on a ride in the chair, show them everything i will be using, tickle there gums a bit and make it a good experience for them.
    olivia125

Answer by olivia125 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• After she gets her first tooth. Recommended.
    fishersmom06

Answer by fishersmom06 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I've read that as soon as they get their first tooth. But I also read by age 1. We actually just took our 22 month old to the dentist for the first time today. They just did an oral exam to check for cavities and development of his teeth. They said they don't do an x-ray or cleanings until age 2.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I'd take her... even if your dentist can get her to open her mouth long enough to see if there are cavities, it would be worth the trip. Plus, they'll give her a toothbrush & a sticker or something.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• DOCTORS SAY AGE 3
    DENTISTS SAY AS SOON AS THE FIRST TOOTH COMES IN OR THE FIRST BIRTHDAY, WHICH EVER COMES FIRST!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2008