What is a Pagan?

What are the differences between a Pagan and an Atheist? Or are there any? Thank you..just curious about what a Pagan believes and stuff.

Mrs. Curious

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ask ......... kenre ......that is her screenname
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• An atheist does not believe in and god or higher power, creator etc. They believe in the big bang theory, evolution etc.
    Pagans have gods they worship, and they have a profound respect for nature.
    I am neither one, but that's the basics right there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• "An atheist does not believe in and god or higher power, creator etc. They believe in the big bang theory, evolution etc."

There are plenty of non-atheists who believe in evolution, Big Bang, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:08 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Pagan is a catch all for those who believe in something besides Christianity, Catholisim, or Muslim. It includes Wiccans, nature worshippers, those who are agnostic etc. Atheists don't believe in God the way these religions define god, I do know of some who do believe in a higher power, more of a force than a person.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:07 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• From my POV 'pagan' is anything that is not what I accept as Truth about our Creator as based soley on the Bible. But, to me, a Pagan (noun) is someone who acknowledges themselves as Pagan in religion. So I might think something is Pagan where a Pagan individual may not.

I'll watch this Q. It'll be good for me to see what a Pagan thinks pagan/Paganism is.
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 9:01 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:23 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Pagans are, broadly speaking, anyone who believes in a higher power, other than the Abrahamic God, Jehovah. That is Jews, Muslims or Christians. This includes Buddahists, Hindus, Neopagans of every stripe and many other peoples around the world.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:40 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I am Pagan, and I can tell you that the word Pagan itself is a term used to describe any belief system that does not follow the Bible, Torah, and any other religion that has a God, as is typical. My belief system follows the Hellenic Path, and I also borrow
    some virtues of Wicca. It's different for every Pagan.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:20 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• NightPhoenix, You don't worship any Gods/Goddesses? That is a legitimate question, not a put-down.
    Anonymous

• The term pagan is from the Latin paganus, an adjective originally meaning "rural", "rustic" or "of the country." As a noun, paganus was used to mean "country dweller, villager."

Pagan: Religion of the country folk who retained the traditions of the Old Religion during the conversion of Europe to the New Religion; used in modern times without distinction to mean anyone that is not Christian, Jewish, of Moslem, or who has no religion.This name is being reclaimed by Wiccans, Witches,Druids,Odinists, and other spiritual groups reviving the practices and beliefs of the Old Religion. <- And that is taken directly from my Book of Shadows or BOS

I believe in and worship a deity that is both male and female, a father God and mother Goddess,
    who together created all that is, was, or will be.but thats just me personally. i wont judge others if they only see the male God or no God.
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 12:58 PM on Dec. 25, 2009