Are you up front about Santa being a fake or do you lie and tell your kids he is real?

My 5 yr old son asked me if Santa was real and I explained to him that Santa is not a real person but apart of Christmas and apart of fantasies and that Christmas is really all about Jesus and it is HIS birthday.

Was I wrong with telling him the truth?
or should have I just lied to him and let him believe the whole Santa thing until some kid at school lets him down

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Holidays

• I will tell my son the truth, simply because of my religion. I will not have him hurting other children's feelings by telling them, but to me, to lie to your child, is wrong, no matter what type of lie.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:40 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Ours is 6, and knew last year at 5. He's still super excited and was bouncing off the walls today, and he knows he already got his "big gift' a month or two ago. We had a bible story reading and communion and Jesus birthday cake followed by opening of a couple of small presents tonight.

Your kid asked, so there's nothing wrong with telling him the truth. ..It makes it a lot easier, that's for sure. Unlike some of these people on here trying to keep their kids in bed ours is up there sleeping and I casually put the presents under the tree. If he wakes up and I'm still awake and he sees the gifts there, no biggie. He knows he can't touch until tomorrow, and I don't have to make up some story about Santa coming before I got to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Christmas is not Jesus' birthday for starters, and yes i plan on telling my children the same thing when they get older, that Santa is just in honor of St. Nicolas, and that he's not real, but that every gift they get is a blessing from God, and God blessed us as their parents to be able to provide the gifts to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Oh yea, and some people say we are taking away from their imaginations, but i don't believe that at all. It's something you plant in their head as a lie, and give this made up "Santa" the credit for the presents you bought your children all the credit.
    I believe a lie is a lie, no matter what, there is no good lie, and I'll be honest with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I say you raise your kid your way, and I will raise my kid mine. I will continue telling me children about Santa as long as I can. If later down the line, someone tells my child at school that he is a "fake" I will talk to my child then. I have great communication with my child, and they will come to me with questions. Its okay to tell your child the truth if they come to you asking, is how I feel. To me though, Santa is a very special and magical part of Christmas that I would never volunteerily take away from them too soon.
    I would appreciate it though if all those parents that tell thier children about Santa, throw in this "Now remember- this is for us to know. Don't go telling the other kids you know, because they still enjoy the fun of pretending that Santa will come this year". Because I would hate to think that it was MY child that ruined someone elses Christmas fun. Merry Christmas!~ :)
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 2:43 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

---------------
    Do you play make believe with your children?
    Second, how much "credit" do you need to have? Isn't being a parent and watching thier faces as they open up gifts enough? You need to have all the credit too? I can't stand people that just look out for themselves.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 2:46 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• We do not do Christmas because of our own religious views and so our daughter (who is 6) know that Santa isn't real. And we do tell her not to discuss it with other children because we don't want her to ruin it for others.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 3:00 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Until the world ends there will parents that let their children believe in Santa. Santa is about love and giving,not lying. Have the same parents that refuse to "lie" to their children ever told thier child they will do something, such as play with them in just a minute and then not follow thru with it lying to their children as well????
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:10 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• My daughter is 6 and she does believe in Santa. My 12-yr-old nephew tried to tell her Santa's make believe, but my daughter believes in Santa so much she actually felt sorry for her cousin who "can't tell what's true and what's make believe" haha.

I don't think it's right to tell children the truth about Santa. But i don't think it's wrong either.

You're the parent, it's up to your beliefs. We shouldn't care what others think about this issue.
    I want my daughter to believe in Santa, so I am not telling her the truth yet. You didn't want to lie to your child and you told the truth. Your decision. This Santa matter has been over discussed on here anyway!
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 3:15 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Yes, I've been upfront with my children about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Halloween. We don't celebrate any of them. I buy gifts for them all year round and catch the great sales, after most holidays. LMAO! While I've never told them to do it, I hope they do burst the bubble of any kid who brags to them about what they got for Christmas from Santa Claus. Hope they ask them if they got a college trust fund as well.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 3:16 AM on Dec. 25, 2009