Have you ever slapped your teenager?

I did last week because I caught her lying about a very serious family matter. She could have been taken away from us if she hadn't told the truth afterwards. I feel so bad, she still won't talk to us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 AM on Dec. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just in my mind I have, I haven't followed thru....LOL
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:57 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I was slapped by my mom as a teenager. I told her to shut up and I got knocked back onto my butt. I dont hate her and it taught me a lot about respecting my mom.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:55 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I hate to admit it, but I did slap my dd once, and I've slapped my ds once. She is 15 1/2. When I slapped her, she wasn't a teen, and it wasn't hard. She was wanting to get ready for trick or treating, and I (very nicely) told her she needed to eat some dinner really fast before we got ready and she got mad and slapped me, and I slapped her back. I told her she shouldn't do that unless she was prepared for it to be done back (again, I didn't do it hard). It hurt her feelings and she never did it again, and neither have I. I slapped my ds once when my dh was deployed and he was about 15 1/2 and said some really horrible things to me and my dd, and was doing some really mean stuff, and had been being basically a jerk for over a month.

I got slapped by my mom once when I was in hs, because I called my sister a whore (she wasn't, btw). I never called her that again, and never got slapped again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I think if she deserved it , sometimes its impulsive, but teenagers could be cruel sometimes. My mom slapped me like twice before. Now remembering some of the harsh things I used to say to her , I'm surprised she didn't slap me more. I was pretty mean, but it did make me respect her more and she set boundaries. I'm not promoting it, I'm just saying it happens occasionally, and if she deserved it and it must have been something you're pretty sensitive about, then don't beat yourself up about it.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I slapped my son once when he was 13. He misunderstood something I said, and because of what he THOUGHT I said he actually called me a bitch. This is NOT allowed, and I slapped him--something that I had never done before! (The kids occasionally got a smack on the butt when they were very small, but hadn't been slapped in the face EVER!) It shocked both of us and he shut up long enough for me to ask him why he called me that, he said he wasn't doing what he thought I told him to do, I asked him why he thought I'd want him to, he said, "You just told me to..." The misunderstanding was discovered, everybody apologized, and peace was restored. I still felt like a total heel for hitting him in the face. I was routinely slapped upside the head as a child and teenager, and had vowed NEVER to hit my kids about the head.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:06 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• No. I don't condone violence. My daughter isn't a teenager but I can understand WHY someone would. I was a total B*tch when I was younger. But I never deserved to get hit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I never got slapped as a teenager but i deserved it. i was one of the worst. i was a nightmare.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 9:36 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• thought about it but havnt followed threw but was slapped by my mom and it taught me respect
    Bellsbabyboys

Answer by Bellsbabyboys at 9:43 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I don't have teens yet, but if I did, and they did something as serious as yours, i'd knock the shit out of them and not think twice. Even if they're taller and weigh more, my teens will never be above picking themsellves up off the floor.
    Aslen

Answer by Aslen at 10:09 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Only 1 time. He smarted off and when I asked him what he said, he repeated it! I asked him if he wanted to be slapped now or later and he said NOW. So I slapped him. He hasn't smarted off again and I think I shocked him that I actually slapped him. I haven't spanked that kid since he was 4 and he is 13.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 25, 2009