Has anyone had complications after a wisdom tooth was extracted?

Three days ago I had a wisdom tooth extracted from my bottom gum. The dentist told me that the pain shouldn't be that bad the next day. I was already in severe pain because of it and also an infection apparently in it. When he removed it is the most painful thing I have ever experienced, and he couldn't figure out why it hurt so bad and I was numb. I cried all the way home that day. The worst of the pain surprisingly isn't in my mouth its in my temple and ear, and its been none stop. The pain pills aren't working and I can't sleep because of it. With the holidays I couldn't even get ahold of the denist the next day to ask about it. This pain is so much worse than the pain before it was removed, and believe me that was bad enough to send me to the denist. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is there any advice on what I should do? I feel horrible and just want the pain to stop...

sweetdawn9505

Asked by sweetdawn9505 at 7:09 AM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Health

• you may have a dry socket but it sounds like you were having issues before you even had the tooth pulled. did he give you an antibiotic too? If you had that bad of an infection in your tooth it could have spread to your gums. Make sure you are rinsing your mouth everytime you put anything but water in it. If you are a smoker its best if you don't smoke right now (I couldn't resist either so I took cotton & packed the hole & as soon as I was done smoking I'd take the cotton out & rinse). Use a mix of half hydrogen peroxide & half water. Eat soft foods, will help hold down the pain in your jaw. Call your dentist asap!!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:39 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• The infection may have spread to your ear or sinus. Call your dentist today, or your doctor, or go to an urgent care clinic, or if nothing else is available, it would be worth going to ER. I hope you feel better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 9:17 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• It sounds like maybe the nerve was damaged when your tooth was pulled, My dr. had me watch a silly video about all the risks involved with it, One of the pieces of video said that your wisdom teeth are very close to nerves and when pulled can affect the nerve. I asked him about it, i was kinda joking b/c on the video it said that one result could numbness and and lack of use of your lips and such but he said most of the time if it is nerves it will be painfull and go away but it could take time. One thing i was surprised about was he never told me not to use a straw and thats like the biggest no no of all. Have you been used straws? that could mean dry socket. I would call asap. and make sure. Call the office and get the after hours number and call!
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 4:51 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• He may have knocked your jaw out of place working on you. I had teeth pulled twice this year (first time was my top wisdoms plus a couple other bottom teeth, second time was a single bottom molar) and both times I had to go to the chiropractor to have my jaw relocated - as soon as it was done the pain was almost gone.
    Anonymous

• sounds like it could be your tmj joint-- maybe from opening wide to have the extraction your jaw could be out of line. I have tmj problems - mine hurts if I open too wide, or eat certain foods (like jerky, gum..) and I have had my jaw l get out of whack. Try googling TMJ disorder-- that should give symptoms and see if that is what you are experiencing. It should also tell you how to get relief.
    Anonymous

• The PPs all described real possibilities. Also, the doc could have left a bit of the tooth behind. So many things.

Get to the doc on Monday. Clove oil can help numb the area and doesn't negatively impact dry socket.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:46 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I've been a dental hygienist for 22 years - I have never heard of infection spreading after a tooth extraction. Pain from an oral infection occurs when the infection is trapped under the gums or tooth and cannot escape. The infection builds up and the pressure causes the pain.
    In my professional opinion, it's either a dry socket or TMJ. TMJ occurs when the cartiledge disc between the temporal bone and the mandible slips- this can happen during an extraction of a thrid molar.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 12:01 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• As a former dental assistant, I agree wtih PrttyMstng. The 1st answer that came to my mind after reading the question was the op had TMJ problems. Although a dry socket is a possibility also.
    Anonymous