Has anyone had a dog with hip dysplasia?

Our 10 month old shepherd/husky mix seems to be having hip problems. I will take him to the vet after the holidays, but is surgery the only way to correct this? What are the costs and recovery time? I'm worried for the poor guy!

crazycatlady66

Asked by crazycatlady66 at 7:46 AM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Pets

• There is meds that can help and science diet has a dog food as well.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:25 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• 10 months seems very young to be suffering hip problems already. That sort of thing usually surfaces as large breed dogs age. Then again, sometimes odd things like that happen I guess. As was already said, they can give you medications to help with the pain. I had a friend once who took her dog to doggy acupuncture and that apparently seemed to help. Hope your pooch feels better soon and that it is something simple.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 2:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Shepherds are very prone to hip dysplasia but wow 10 months is young! Hopefully its just growing pains or something. There are meds that can help ease the pain without surgery but if its starting this young, who knows what the future may hold for him. Accupuncture or some kind holistic method would be awesome if thats an option for you! Good luck!!
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I have a 7 year old retriever/healer mix that has had dysplasia her whole life. Her vet put her on a supplement that helps increase the flexibility in her joints. She takes one gel tablet a day and they really help her a lot. Our vet hasn't even mentioned surgery. Dysplasia is a very common problem with dogs and I've never known anyone who had their dog opperated on for it. As long as your dog is getting around and enjoying life, the supplement should be all that you need.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:09 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I have known people who had to put a rottie down at 1 1/2 yrs due to severe displasia and my sis had to have a hip replacement done on a dog from it. IF its displasia your dog has then that is a very young age to have troubles begin, indicating its severity.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:13 AM on Dec. 26, 2009