Sleep

I have a two year old who doesnt go to sleep on his own...he needs to be rocked to sleep but it seems ridiculous. Isnt he old enough to just fall asleep on his own? I put him up in his crib and all he does is jump around and play? I also have a 4 month old whom i put in a baby swing to fall asleep while im trying to rock my 2 yr old so he will take a nap. I feel really bad because if anything I should be rocking my four mth old to sleep instead of him.

When I just put him up in his crib he starts to take his jammies and diaper off. I am beyond clueless as to what to do about it. Any suggestions?

maxsmommy1018

Asked by maxsmommy1018 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put his pajamas on backwards.

Get Dr. Ferber's sleep book from the library.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:26 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• if he is jumping and playing when you put him down then maybe he isnt tired, try moving his nap/bed times back a little.
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 4:04 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I am asking a similar question..we are expecting our 2nd child and my oldest is almost 2---he refuses to sleep period...and we just dont know what to do...I had hoped to get him in a routine so the second round wouldnt be so hard...but if I get a good answer I will share...and i hope you have good luck...!!!
    chaoshappens

Answer by chaoshappens at 10:54 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I would stop rocking the 4 month old so you don't have this problem when s/he is 2. I would check out the Ferber book, The Happiest Baby and Happiest Toddler on the Block. Unfortunately, it will take time and effort to "break" him of this habit. It is possible that a child who won't go to sleep is not tired, but more than likely the child is over tired and/or over stimulated. Put jammies on backwards. Establish a calming bed/nap time routine. For bed we would give a warm bath, a short toddler massage, a story and bed time. Be consistent, which is the hardest thing to do when you kid is swinging from the rafters or screaming like a banshee/.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:08 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• well if you have always done this then this is what he is use too. Yes he should be able to go to sleep on his own but its a comfort thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• thank everyone...so if i dont rock my 4 mth old then what do I do?
    maxsmommy1018

Answer by maxsmommy1018 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• personally, I'd skip the Ferber book.. It won't work with all kids.. You might try reading Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep SOlution books or website. She has one for newborns (get a good start with your 4 month old) and one for Toddlers/Preschoolers. I agree with the previous poster that if your son is bouncing around his bed, he may very well not be tired. We use to rock our son until he was sleepy but not asleep then put him into his bed. That was usually enough to allow him to go off to sleep on his own. We've now eliminated rocking but we'll lay with him for a couple of minutes then leave, again, while he's still awake.(He's currently 2 1/2.) With your 4 month old, try the "rock until sleepy" then put the baby into bed awake but sleepy to let her him/her learn to fall asleep without help. The younger you do this, the better.
    Anonymous

• Why does it seem ridiculous that your 2 year won't go to sleep on his own according to your schedule?

Humans are pack animals and it is hardwired into human baby brains to sleep with their mother. Babies are supposed to fall asleep nursing and wake up if they are alone. They aren't supposed to sleep through the night until they are 3 or older. It is all for human survival. Still in most places in the world babies are breastfed and sleep with their mothers. Women from other societies think cribs are horrible.

Just because your baby was born in the US and has a crib doesn't mean his brain was born different. These neural pathways take generations to change. He isn't nursing or sleeping with you and we don't know what all the long term consequences will be.

At least rock him. You should be able to rock him and nurse the baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• my son does sleep thru the night....thats not the issue...the issue is him being able to fall asleep on his own.
    maxsmommy1018

Answer by maxsmommy1018 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 26, 2009