6 month old won't eat her formula

ok.. first off.. Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!! =)

My 6 month old dd just had her checkup, and we found out she has an ear infection. I told the dr that she hasn't been eating her 24 oz of formula a day, and he said it could be because of her ear infection. She will take a bottle here and there, but otherwise it's like 1.5 oz or 2 oz and she won't finish it. However, she WILL drink her juice (they said i could start her on it, so once a day ive been giving her an ounce of juice and diluting it with some water), and eat her bananas. I tried putting the formula in her sippy cup, and she doesn't finish that either. She has a follow up appt on thursday, but i'm just wondering opinions. I tried not giving her the juice and food, so she would take the formula, but then she just doesn't eat..and i don't want her to starve. Im just not sure what to do. She is staying hydrated and fed, but I want her to have the formula

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 3:10 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Watch the bananas. They can constipate her. Just keep offering her liquids. She may want some water. You might even try changing her formula until you can get back to the doctor.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:39 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• she could be having a reaction to the formula and can't tell you. I am allergic to nuts, when I eat them I start feeling pain in my ears, if I ignore it I end up w/ an ear infection everytime. What kind of formula does your little one take? If it's dairy based, then try soy. It is common for food allergies to cause ear infections . Read this bk "No More Amoxicillin": Preventing and Treating Ear and Respiratory Infections Without Antibiotics by Mary Ann Ann Block

google "food allergies babies ear infections"
    Anonymous

• It can be painful to swallow when anyone has an ear infection. It probably hurts to swallow over and over, so she stops when she's sick of it. Give her tylenol about half an hour before she's due for a feeding and see if that helps.
    Anonymous

• Give her some motrin to kill the pain and reduce the swelling (anti inflammatory) and see if she'll take a bottle then. Also, you could try a faster flow nipple...so she doesn't have to suck as hard to get the milk. If you've changed formula recently or purchased a new can either try going back to the old formula or get a new can (maybe something is wrong with it).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:30 AM on Dec. 26, 2009