What's going on? Is it contractions?

I am 27 weeks. I went to my high risk Dr early last week and they had said he is head down and dropped. Well today I have been feeling really strong pressure "down there". At first I thought it was just the baby like pushing down or something, but now I'm not sure. It has gotten stronger as the day has gone by and now it's pretty painful. Also, my lower back hurts and I am crampy. I haven't really noticed any hold and release close to 5 mins apart though. I am not good at telling when a contraction is taking place. What should I do? I can call my Dr, but I really don't want to go to labor and delivery...unless I really have to.

pink72princess

Asked by pink72princess at 6:34 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • YES YOU SHOULD CALL UR DOCTOR LIKE NOW OR GO TO THE HOSPITAL
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:41 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Just call the Labor & Delivery dept of your hospital. They will tell you when to come in

Answer by admckenzie at 6:48 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• i would go in and at least get checked you dont want your baby this early
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Why WOULDN'T you want to go to L&D? If a baby wants to come out NOW, the doctor can do more to keep it in than you can by squeezing your legs shut and staying on your couch.
    MommyG721

Answer by MommyG721 at 7:40 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I would call and and ask them. You know when youre in labor and its farther along. But its better to be safe than sorry. You could be having small contractions. No pregnancy is the same but i would get small cramps/contractions when I went for a walk or loved me husband.......and that happened early on too around 27 weeks. Hope all goes well
    LilMamaC08

Answer by LilMamaC08 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• My fiance's Mom had back labor, she didn't know she was going into labor until her water broke. She didn't even really have back pain much at all. I'd rather be in the hospital then at home wondering if I should or shouldn't go in. I am not sure where you live, I am where there's lots of snow right now so if I was pregnant and expecting in weather like this, I wouldn't hesitate to go in and get checked.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• ill put it this way if your not sure if you should go in or not you should go just to be safe and you really dont want the baby to come this early i hope everything goes good lets us know
    Anonymous

• Any time you feel cramping, it really needs to be checked out. The pressure can be normal pregnancy discomforts, as can the lower back pain, but the cramping it not good. Labor often times feels like you started your period...that same warm, cramping sensation.

Contractions simply feel like the muscles in your entire belly tighten for a while, then release. It feels a bit like your baby is stretching out long ways across your belly.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:13 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• BTW, many women go to labor and delivery when they aren't in labor. They are there to take care of you. If you're high risk any way, you should err on the side of caution and go get checked out. I went to L&D with my first baby at 25 weeks with some light bleeding. It turned out to be nothing, but the nurses and doctors were great, took good care of me, and told me I did the right thing by coming in.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:15 PM on Dec. 25, 2009