AP sources: Al-Qaida link in failed plane attack

WASHINGTON – U.S. officials say a Northwest Airlines passenger from Nigeria said he was acting on behalf of al-Qaida when he tried to blow up a flight Friday as it landed in Detroit.

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., identified the suspect as Abdul Mudallad, a Nigerian. King said the flight began in Nigeria and went through Amsterdam en route to Detroit.

One of the U.S. intelligence officials said the explosive device was a mix of powder and liquid. It failed when the passenger tried to detonate it.

The passenger was being questioned Friday evening.

Both of the officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was continuing.

The motive of the Christmas Day attack was not immediately clear.

Go figure on Christmas Day huh?

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Wait I forgot he's on vacation isn't he? ahhh thats right. My bad, wouldn't expect him to do his job now would we?
    wewerepunked

Answer by wewerepunked at 2:24 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• This morning when they were reporting it was fireworks, people were already asking how someone manages to get anything explosive on the plane or have a chance to light it. Now that we know it wasn't fireworks and was "a device" the question still stands - HOW?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:18 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Why? Thank goodness it didn't work!! I am with previous poster, how do you get this stuff on a plane, I had to throw out make up shampoo etc,,but someone can manage a bomb, one thing Amsterdam is probably not as secure as US, thank god nobody got hurt!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:40 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• the yahoo site said it was made out of a mix of liquid and powder...but then they said it could have been strapped on to him...i don't see how that adds up? looks like we'll have to wait for more details as the investigation just goes on.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Yes, i wonder on one earth anyone can get anything on a plane especially since i was made to throw away my sealed bottle of water that i wanted to use for my baby's bottle if her two bottles of milk i had made for her finished.

it was scary enough thinking fireworks... anything more is horrifying.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 7:55 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are not more attempts. The whole world, as well as al-Qaida and every other terrorist group out there, knows that things are way different now in the US. I am not surprised at all that there was an attempt on a holiday, especially a Christian holiday. They've been trying for years to make another statement like they did on 9-11, but they've been thwarted until very recently. And, as I said, there will probably be more coming.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:58 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Thank God this was stopped. This, the day Christians celebrate the birth of Christ and these evil people try to kill people.
    Anonymous

• "The motive of the Christmas Day attack was not immediately clear."

???? Really? Not clear? Seems pretty clear to me!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:40 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• LOL, mancos. I totally agree. How is it that it isn't clear? I guess they are so afraid of feeding any machine that they come off very passive. Although, I guess it would be irresponsible to claim to know, they certainly could have worded that statement differently. There is such a movement to claim any and every person in media as fear mongering or the like. Although, DH was flipping through channels and stopped on FOX and it said that WH was admitting that this was an attempted terrorist attack, so at least they are admitting that much.

My thoughts are with those that were on that flight and likely saw their lives flash before their eyes.  I can't imagine how thankful they must feel just to be alive. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:51 PM on Dec. 25, 2009