Hubby is being Unreasonbale about traveling in the blizzard, HELP!!

Hi, we are in the midst of a blizzard, we were supposed to leave today for my family's Christmas, but the highway is shut down, hubby is insisting we leave 2morrow for his family's home, over 100 miles away, the news says DO not travel unless it is an emergency. I put my foot down, the wind chill is -30 degrees and will stay that way, the roads are VERY dangerous, he says fine stay home, but DS and I are going tomorrow, it seems very silly to me, and ideas on how I can make him SEE that if one thing were to go wrong, we could end up dead or hurt or at the very least with no car? I am trying to be reasonable, help me out ladies, he is pig headed!
I DO not think we should go!!!!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 7:25 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Holidays

• We weren't able to be with my parents because of the weather and roads. My DH checked the road reports and cameras and it was black ice and white outs. I'm not going to put our lives at risk, it's just not worth it.
    Put your foot down and tell him no!
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 8:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• See if your area has declared an official state of emergency (a lot of places have). If they have, it may actually be illegal to be on the road. At a certain level, all travel is restricted to emergency/utility services only.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:48 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Just put your foot down and not go, he's just dissapointed and he's directing it towards you right now. Validate his feelings of dissapointment, let him know you understand how upset he is, and that you feel for him. I don't really thing that rubbing the actual facts in front of him, or trying to "make him understand"is going to make him receptive to your concern.It may just upset him more. Just allow him to be upset, but stay home and be safe, it won't matter next year!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• We got very little snow, but enough to make some people think the roads were bad and my parents were concerned about going to Christmas dinner today, too. I would not let your son go with him. He seems very irrate and unreasonable. You really shouldn't give in. If he wants to go out and drive in a blizzard than let him, he'll learn. Either he'll realize that it's too bad out and turn around or have something stupid happen. Nevertheless, don't let your son go with him.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Have your family call and cancel. That should take care of it.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:22 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• We are in Texas and our family had to post-pone Christmas (except our immediate family at each home) because of blizzard snow conditions. I know of 3 families who left yesterday morning on a 6-hour trip that turned into a 24+ hour trip. No gas, no food, with toddlers & teens, one with pets, peeing in a cup and tossing it out the window. For 1 of those families, it took 26 hours to travel a 2 hour drive. Roads shut down due to accidents, stuck in one place for 2-3 hours at a time, National Guard trying to hand out supplies......it has been a mess. No way I'd do it. My sister's kids are at Grandma's and they couldn't even get them home. Waiting until tomorrow to see if the roads clear. No way, I'd let my child in the car. My niece got frost-bite when she had to get out and walk part way in the snow. And the wind chills here weren't -30, either. That's colder than here.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:25 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Tell him that he can go, but your son stays home with you. He is being an idiot and putting his life and his families life at risk. NO WAY I would even think about driving in that kind of weather. If he tries to leave with your son, call the cops and have him picked up for child neglect--or threaten him with that if he even thinks of taking your son out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Let out the air in car tires. LOL

Anonymous

• Call his family and let them know your predicament. That you are in an area that have very dangerous travel conditions. Have them speak to your DH and talk some sense into him

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:52 PM on Dec. 25, 2009