cats and wivestales and how to get husband to get OVER it

I have cats. I am a cat person. I had cats before my husband. I had cats before my pregnancy. I am now pregnant. husband doesn't want so many cats. I tell him he goes first. He says the cats will kill the baby. I am about ready to run away...disappear or commit myself to a fucking mental institution. Any thoughts??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Pets

• I Love Cats too! Recently my DH saw my grandson who's 2 pick up open can with the lid on he found! DH panicked & yelled at the Grandson. Give it to me! He scared him. SO the little Grandson laid on the floor crying. He's so sesitive! The cat in the house has a dislocated pelvis. So he walks funny. Anyway he ran to the boy and purred bu him, nudged him to Cheer him up! Pure Love & precious! When my DD was PG.* with her second child her OB. The one I had for my 2 told her to get rid of ALL of her Cats! I was Mad at him! None of my Cats ever did anything to harm my DDs! My DD's are now 25 & 30! My DH used to be like yours! But we've been together since Christmas Eve. Now 34 Christmasses! He learned to love Cats! I hope you can work this out with him! How many times have you heard of Cats Finding babies not breathing & getting Help? Or the Cat in the manger that calmed down Baby Jesus! Stick to your Cats & Congrats for your Baby
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 8:56 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I am also a cat person. There are some old wives' tales. There are also some real concerns. Try to find out what your husband's real concerns are. When my son was born we had a dog and two cats. I put a screen door on the nursery, so I could see and hear the baby and the cats/dog couldn't get in unsupervised. Good luck with this one. Remember to listen instead of react.
    Anonymous

• I don't think any animals should be left alone with a baby/unsupervised and I explained that to him. I am not sure, I think this is his way of having an excuse to "downsize"
    Anonymous

• My mil constantly asked me when I was going to "get rid of the cat" -- until I asked her why she did not get rid of her son (my now ex) when she had her second child? It worked, she STFU about it. I'm sure that won't really work for you, though. I agree with finding out what his real issues are -- surely it is more than just stupidity -- and then coming up with ways to compromise and find solutions that do not involve divorce or abandonment of the Feline-American children in favor of their future sibling.

The ex's ho believes this crap, too. In her case, it is just stupidity.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:03 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• ironically, though personally not a fear of my own, he seems to be MORE "concerned" about the CATS than our pitbulls.
    Anonymous

• He's probably jealous of the attention you give to the cats.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• How many cats do you have? If it's an outrageous amount, than you should get rid of some of them for health concerns. I have two cats and that's enough for me.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Actually if you change the litter box with out gloves it is highly lethal to the unborn baby. I do not believe in cats stealing babies breath. However you need to watch cats, ferrets and other animals around your baby after feeding(breast milk or formula) because they are attracted to the sell and can cause damage/harm to the defenseless infant(even around 2yrs of age its an issue!). I feel like ANYTHING CAN AND DOES AT ANY TIME, so if it does its either for a lesson or because it was meant to be. Meet your dh halfway. Some wives tails just like some urban legends do hold some truth, just watered down and twisted to the point you don't know what to believe!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• When I brought m kids home-i had three dogs, two cats,and 5 parrots. The cats nor dogs ever did anything to the babies. The only thing my cats did was try and sleep on any and all blankets that I might have put down somewhere-but they just wanted a soft place to lay. And to people who say you can't change the cat box when pregnant-i changed the litterbox everyday when pregnant with each of my kids. I also had rescue cats and kittens and worked with cats as a groomer. I changed a ton of litterboxes and both of my children and perfectly wonderful and no worse for it. As long as you wash your hands after-which everyone should do anyway-you will be fine. I did nothing different or special with my pets when I brought my babies home and my animals never bothered them or did more than sniff them a time or two.
    Anonymous

• Just because you didn't get toxoplasmosis, doesn't make it safe for every pregnant woman out there. I wouldn't advise it. I had cats and hubby did it for me. Also, don't take this personal if I'm wrong, but does your house smell like cat piss? Are they tearing shit up? That's why my hubby doesn't like cats. We rented at a place where our roomate had cats and they were horrible. Is he gonna flip his lid if kitty gets a little jealous and pisses in baby's crib? Because I had three different cats do this after a new baby came home.
    Anonymous