am I selfish for this??

I know that Christmas is about family and time together and not all about what you get...... I am infact told my whole fam except my mom not to get for me because money is tight at my house and I couldn't do anything for them. I did for the kids in the fam and my mom, and my son. Well my mom is home from Kenya (she is a missionary) and her and I were exchanging gifts...the only person I am exchanging with....I am disapointed and on the verge of annoyed, I have SOOO much African crap and what does she get me, more AFrican crap that I really don't want. I would rather have nothing. I know that sounds bad but reallyI am disapointed. How awful is that of me? - BTW know what I really want?? I pair of warm cute brown boots....

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Holidays

• No, you aren't being selfish. I normally would think you were, but I understand what you are saying in this case. For 7 years, your mother has gotten you stuff for your house that you can't/don't use. How do you force someone else to decorate in your style? 1 or 2 pieces over the years would be a nice gesture. Several pieces over the years is TOO MUCH!

Like you said, you are a single mother and all you need is a pair of brown boots. You already give to the community and help the poor and homeless, so NO, you are not selfish, you are practical.

Did you get a chance to tell her about the boots or did you think she would know about them?!?
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 12:24 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Honestly, it's the middle of winter...warm cute boots seems much more reasonable than more stuff you don't need. I know it's "the thought that counts" and all but sometimes when there is no thought, it's okay to be sad.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 8:53 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• What's wrong with African stuff?
    Anonymous

• She lives in Africa, I'm sure that she was only able to get something from there and that she didn't have much time for something else.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• She has been in AFrica for 7 years, and once for a few months before that, you can not possible imagine how much african crap I have..............
    I'm a single mom, and was not getting anything from anyone esle, and can never afford to do anything nice for myself, I just wanted the ONE person getting me a present to get me something that I might actually want........(and $$ was not the issue if it was with her I would have told her not to worry about doing anything)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• She was in fla for a week before coming here to my house, AND she has the capablilty to order online. Shw ordered my son's gift online and had it shipped.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Why do you refer to it as "crap"? If she didn't get you anything, you would be complaining about that. Be happy that she gave you something. Some people didn't get anything. And be happy that you still have a mother to spend Christmas with. I wish I did!
    Anonymous

• Maybe you just need to tell her. No more African stuff Mom.

Answer by louise2 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• No. I try to get my DD's what they like! Not just anything to give as gifts! Sometimes DD gets Cat stuff. She's 30. Married and all. Has Cats! But doesn't want Cat books, stickers, Cat Crap. But she gets it! What do you say on that? It happens! I know you need what you need! I wsih somehow you'd get your boots! A needful gift! Best of Luck to you! Merry Christmas! All I got from DH was a Christmas Card. Its our special time of year! Since we met on Christmas Eve. Its our 34th Christmas! Yet he didn't write in my card without me nudging until tonight at 7pm. We all have Feelings and Hopes! I understand!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:10 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• What did you get her? She might be thinking the same thing right now,lol.
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 25, 2009